Whiskey Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicagomead

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the world of mead still and need some help. I was just about to start a new batch of mead when I was thinking about adding just a hint of whiskey flavor. I was wondering if any added whiskey would mess up the yeast or if there is a way to get just the flavor. Any thoughts?

I love making meads taste like low alcohol whiskey. My technique is to start with a honey that has a slight buttery flavor (adding a little Meadowfoam to wildflower works) then ferment till dry. Then put into a medium char oak keg for a year at least. I have a 13 gallon Hungarian oak and a 5 gallon American oak keg that I use to age to get the right flavor. I sometimes add some "frozen then thawed" mead during the aging to top off the keg to replace the angel's portion that is lost. So good luck on your oak aged mead.

If you're gonna add whisky for flavour, as Lungus mentions ferment it dry, only then add it, to taste.

It will increase alc level and reduce body

Make it, fortify it then taste a glass with a teaspoon of honey stirred in.....

Thanks guys. Can't wait to try out your advice. Really wish I could afford that barrel. Maybe later on.

Back