You guys do realize... (overhyped beers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. Hopslam is overhyped and (gulp) overhopped. Not enjoyable IMO.

Heady Topper on the other hand was delicious.

That you have hyped Heady Topper and Hopslam so much that there is no way I can be anything but disappointed when I do actually find a bottle and taste them?

I'm gonna pay a guy 13 french fries to punch you in the Clinton campaign button. just for funsies. and then we will drink Heady Topper.:rockin:

Hopzilla from Terrapin or Lost Continent from Grand Teton are my favorite DIPAs. Hopslam is good, but not worth the hype.

Both are overhyped. Don't get me wrong Heady Topper is very good. But its not worth what people are doing to get it.

Hop Slam was incredible the first couple years. Its not the same anymore. More bitterness, more sweetness, less hop aroma. Plus it fades so damn fast.

Hopslam is a fine ipa. Definitely over hyped and there are lots of other ipa's that I would go for first; that are much more moderately priced.
Recently I have been loving some Flying Dog Single Hop Citra DIPA. Phenomenal!

Out of context I find this absurdly hilarious:
I'm gonna pay a guy 13 french fries to punch you in the Clinton campaign button

HS is good, but I'd drink an Alchemy Hour (or whatever it will be called when it is released next spring) over it any day. HT I definitely want to try. The good news is there are lots of incredible DIPAs out there now so grab what you can and enjoy! :mug:

I was worried about that myself. I finally got to try a HT early this spring and it was delicious, may have not been as fresh as it should but I kind of did have it all made out to be this amazing concoction of unicorn mane and angels navel lint all fermented using glitter and the giggles of a jolly fat baby. It was good, but not worth selling your firstborn for. I may regret that when I decide to have children...

I agree Hopslam is good but it's over-hyped. My sister travels to Vermont frequently and is going to bring me back a 4 pack of Heady Topper. I suspect it will be good but also over hyped.

Most beers are over hyped these days. Dark Lord Day is a prime example. I refuse to buy a ticket just to have the privilege to wait in line so I can buy beer.

Poopslam :eek::eek:

It may not be the best out there, but I will always have a soft spot for it. It was the first "big" IPA that I ever enjoyed. Its also the first beer that I ever made plans to go get because it was so hard to get.

Still waiting for the beer fairy to send me some HT or PTE

I don't understand the hate for Hopslam. The only problem I have with it is the price. But as far as the beer itself, I think it's a great DIPA. Much better than Pliny in my opinion. Talk about an overhyped beer, Pte is overhyped and no where near lives up to it.
Heady Topper on the other hand is very hyped, but definitely lives up to the hype.

I don't understand the hate for Hopslam. The only problem I have with it is the price. But as far as the beer itself, I think it's a great DIPA. Much better than Pliny in my opinion. Talk about an overhyped beer, Pte is overhyped and no where near lives up to it.
Heady Topper on the other hand is very hyped, but definitely lives up to the hype.

Well, I've had a Pliny the Elder and I've had more than one Hopslam. I personally think Pliny is better. But probably also over hyped.

I still sometimes lie awake at night thinking of when I'll get to try another pint of Lost Continent. Mmmmmmm.

That you have hyped Heady Topper and Hopslam so much that there is no way I can be anything but disappointed when I do actually find a bottle and taste them?

Both are over-rated, particularly Heady Topper. Is Heady Topper good? Absolutely. Is it life changing? Nope. I've got a case left in the fridge and will enjoy it, but I don't particularly find it to be that special.

Both are overhyped. Don't get me wrong Heady Topper is very good. But its not worth what people are doing to get it.

Hop Slam was incredible the first couple years. Its not the same anymore. More bitterness, more sweetness, less hop aroma. Plus it fades so damn fast.

All I do to get it is to simply hand a cashier $13 American dollars and they let me have four 16 oz. cans of it.

What in the world are other people doing to get it?!?

If there was a bottle shop around here that carried it, I'd be glad to do that simple exchange. Unfortunately, HT has an extremely limited distribution area so most of us are left out in the cold unless we're visiting VT soon. :)

Overhyped for sure. Here's a video (SPOILER ALERT) of a blind taste test. These guys clearly know at least a little bit about beer, but no one should have to endure eleven minutes of these toolbags drinking beer from coffee cups and the like, so I'll spoil it completely. They are tasting Heady, Pliny, and Sculpin (which is the "mystery beer"). Somewhere around the 9-1/2 minute mark, it is revealed that only one of the nine cups was guessed correctly, and all of them downplayed Heady Topper as having a weird aroma, so it MUST have been the "mystery beer" because Heady and Pliny HAVE to be better than THAT! The general consensus was that Sculpin was the preferred beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
What else do you all recommend trying that's more readily available?

After having several PtE and HT, I typically keep the "big guns" available in my fridge for trading purposes only - Although I do plan on harvesting some conan in the next few weeks... But I do love the occasional DIPA

I can tell that some of the Pliny bashers here have never had it on tap, or likely even that fresh and refrigerated end to end. I go to the brewery about 5-6 times a year and I know the difference between a well cared for Pliny and one that wasn't. I've had both beers (and copious sculpin). I think all are delicious, but the idea of putting Sculpin into a blind tasting with those other two just tells me these guys prefer IPA to DIPA.

To give them credit though, one of them did comment that it didn't taste like a DIPA. But honestly, DIPAs and IPAs are not the same category and don't belong together in a comparison contrast setting (IMHO).

Edit, I've had several bottles of Hopslam too. I don't consider it special, but I'd drink plenty of it if it were readily available.

People need to get it through their head that a single beer is unlikely to change their life. Just drink it. They're all great beers!

What else do you all recommend trying that's more readily available?

After having several PtE and HT, I typically keep the "big guns" available in my fridge for trading purposes only - Although I do plan on harvesting some conan in the next few weeks... But I do love the occasional DIPA

Hercules from Great Divide is interesting it leans way more to the malty end of the spectrum. Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's is one of my favorites (but I love Columbus). Oskar Blues the Gubna is pretty good too, although a lot of folks think it tastes like a bag of onions. Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas is just great, and comes in at a really solid price.

I can tell that some of the Pliny bashers here have never had it on tap, or likely even that fresh and refrigerated end to end. I go to the brewery about 5-6 times a year and I know the difference between a well cared for Pliny and one that wasn't. I've had both beers (and copious sculpin). I think all are delicious, but the idea of putting Sculpin into a blind tasting with those other two just tells me these guys prefer IPA to DIPA.

Makes a huge difference how fresh PtE is. I had it on tap at the brewery and brought home fresh bottles (kept in a cooler the trip back and right into the fridge) and the bottle I had a week later was noticeably not as good as on tap. I'm getting to the point now where I just don't see the point in trying to track down hoppy beers from the other side of the country. The age and handling really have a detrimental effect on the beer. Drink local, drink fresh.

Back