Apple Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgayer

Reaction score
4.5 Gallon Apple Juice
6 Cans Apple Juice Concentrate
4 lbs Brown Sugar (I use Dark for a richer color)
1 lb Cane sugar
1lb Honey
2 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
2.5 tbsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Wine Tannin
5 Campden Tablets
1 Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Let the concentrate thaw overnight. I do not heat or boil anything. I pour about half of the gallon jug of juice into the primary and add about half the sugar into the jug. Shake well until mixed and disolved. Do this again for the remaining sugar and then the Honey. I will usually add all other ingredients to the third gallon jug with the honey for mixing. If any honey is not mixed then use the Concentrate by pouring into the jug and shaking. Save about half a gallon of the apple juice. I add a cinnamon stick for Christmas Batches.

Leave this in the carboy covered with a towel for 24 hours then add the yeast. Don't top off yet! Cover the must with a clean rag and tie a string around it for 10 days.

Rack to Secondary top off to 5 gallons and attach airlock. Rack every 30 days and test your sg. In 80 to 90 days it will usually be ready to stabilize and clear enough to bottle.

Remember that this can go up to 18% abv. I have added 1 to 1.5 lbs of honey or sugar at each racking to really boost the sweetness and abv for variations. My last batch I sweetened up a little over 1.1 fg and am trying to keep my wife out of it. A bottle disappeared during bottling!! This is ready to drink when finished with an excellent nose and apple flavor. It does even better with a litle age if it last longer than 6 months. Use dark bottles!

Look delicious gotta try this. I was looking for an apple wine recipe to leave slightly sweet this is on the to-brew list.

Im new also my question is for clarity not to be a jerk: with that said what's the difference between this and Apfelwien?

Im new also my question is for clarity not to be a jerk: with that said what's the difference between this and Apfelwien?

Just ABV really. From what I can grasp "Cider" "Apfelwien" and "Apple Wine" are all loose terms that more or less refer to fermented apple juice/cider.
"Apfelwien" is I believe a German term and I can't see much difference between recipes for it and recipes for "Apple Cider". This recipe is in the 13-14% ABV range which makes it more "Wine" than "Apfelwien" or "Cider".

Veinman said:
Just ABV really. From what I can grasp "Cider" "Apfelwien" and "Apple Wine" are all loose terms that more or less refer to fermented apple juice/cider.
"Apfelwien" is I believe a German term and I can't see much difference between recipes for it and recipes for "Apple Cider". This recipe is in the 13-14% ABV range which makes it more "Wine" than "Apfelwien" or "Cider".

Do you need a secondary or are you able to simply bottle after fermentation has ended and can this be made in a primary bucket instead of a carboy

Do you need a secondary or are you able to simply bottle after fermentation has ended and can this be made in a primary bucket instead of a carboy

Secondary is higly reccomended. I'm not real knowledgable about wine but from what I've read you want to transfer it after fermentation is complete and then about every 60-90 days of bulk aging. You could go straight from primary to bottles but I don't think you'd like the results flavor wise. I suppose you could also go straight to bottles after primary and leave it in the bottles for a long time for the flavor to improve but this isn't reccomended and you'd probably be better off aging in bulk in secondary for awhile.

A bucket should be perfectly fine for primary fermentation but a carboy is reccomended for secondary to reduce the headspace and thus reduce the chance of oxidation.

I went primary for 3 weeks (to FG of .998), secondary for 60 days, tertiary for 60 days and I'm just getting ready to bottle.

Hello all! Remember this is a wine not a cider, Apfelwien is a German cider. Depending on the apples you use will adjust the ABV and ending sweetness, you can test different apple juices and see the differing results. The apple concentrate adds more apple flavor while also increasing the sugar content. I started using cans of concentrate to top off the carboy in about all the apple wines after racking.

This needs a secondary and racking off the sediment Lalvin EC-1118 does not do well for your flavors if it stays in there. I rack about every 30 days until I can read a newspaper through the carboy. Also make sure it has completely finished fermentation. There are times when a lot of CO2 is suspended and it will be noticable after racking in the 3rd or 4th month, but if it still working you will keep the cloudiness as the yeast is suspended. It is good at bottling but even better after a year. I have had 1 bottle a year put back and down to the last from 2007. The new batch I made last year is ready to be bottled after a year, it is great and very dark from some good brown sugar.

Use dark bottles as this will lose coloring if exposed to direct sunlight.

4.5 Gallon Apple Juice
6 Cans Apple Juice Concentrate
4 lbs Brown Sugar (I use Dark for a richer color)
1 lb Cane sugar
1lb Honey
2 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
2.5 tbsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Wine Tannin
5 Campden Tablets
1 Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Let the concentrate thaw overnight. I do not heat or boil anything. I pour about half of the gallon jug of juice into the primary and add about half the sugar into the jug. Shake well until mixed and disolved. Do this again for the remaining sugar and then the Honey. I will usually add all other ingredients to the third gallon jug with the honey for mixing. If any honey is not mixed then use the Concentrate by pouring into the jug and shaking. Save about half a gallon of the apple juice. I add a cinnamon stick for Christmas Batches.

Leave this in the carboy covered with a towel for 24 hours then add the yeast. Don't top off yet! Cover the must with a clean rag and tie a string around it for 10 days.

Rack to Secondary top off to 5 gallons and attach airlock. Rack every 30 days and test your sg. In 80 to 90 days it will usually be ready to stabilize and clear enough to bottle.

Remember that this can go up to 18% abv. I have added 1 to 1.5 lbs of honey or sugar at each racking to really boost the sweetness and abv for variations. My last batch I sweetened up a little over 1.1 fg and am trying to keep my wife out of it. A bottle disappeared during bottling!! This is ready to drink when finished with an excellent nose and apple flavor. It does even better with a litle age if it last longer than 6 months. Use dark bottles!

What is the preferred age of fermentation for this?

It's basically a cider that has the abv boosted with adjuncts. Therefore, New England Cider. Google it.

Transferring your hooch from one vessel to another in order to get it off the lees (spent yeast that settles to the bottom).

The yeast is pretty hardy, you can certainly get a high ABV, with all that fermentable sugar it would keep ya at home. Huh.
I might like to try the recipe in late winter to try and get a nice spiced apple for next fall, although I might add some bentonite at the start and fine it with sparkeloid. After the second racking, bulk age for 3 months and see if it needs a little backsweeting, might add a conditioner and bottle after about another month. I dunno whaddya think.

The yeast is pretty hardy, you can certainly get a high ABV, with all that fermentable sugar it would keep ya at home. Huh.
I might like to try the recipe in late winter to try and get a nice spiced apple for next fall, although I might add some bentonite at the start and fine it with sparkeloid. After the second racking, bulk age for 3 months and see if it needs a little backsweeting, might add a conditioner and bottle after about another month. I dunno whaddya think.

You don't need bentonite or sparkelloid- it'll clear just fine without them. I'm not a fan of sweet wines, but if you like sweet wines apple wine is a nice one to sweeten.

Yea I know, its that I get impatient and I wanna do something so I clear it , it starts to look real pretty in the carboy so I feel better. Lol

I racked this 9 days after leaving it in the primary bucket (April 7th). It is now the 20th and I have not seen one bubble in the secondary since racking. Is it actually done fermenting (for the most part) and just clearing now? Seems strange.

Hello, Hope it's not to late to get a quick question answered - do you add the campden tablets at the beginning, before adding the yeast? Just want to make sure before starting this recipe. Thanks.

I tried this. Right off secondary it was like rocket fuel--hot. After a month, it was better--but still hot. I put a case away for six months to see if it'll mellow out a little bit, but it put me off of apple wine for a while.

Apfelwien is German and means apple wine. As there are different white wines etc, there are different apple wine recipes. But this would be an apple wine.

Latest posts

Back