OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
Ok, so I made my first brew tonight. It was the Brewers Best Pumpkin Spice Porter kit. I followed the instructions explicitly. When I measured my OG it was 1.048. The instructions said that it should be 1.057-1.061. This was at 75 degrees F. I strained the trub as much as possible with a SS strainer that was sanitized. There was nothing left but a mud like consistency that I could get no more liquid from. Did I add too much water when I brought it up to 5 gallons? Is this going to effect the final beer a lot? Is this just going to make it have a weaker final ABV? Thanks for all of the help.

I had a similar experience on my second batch. I was convinced I didn't have enough malt but my LHBS told me I probably didn't give it a good long stir after adding water before reading an OG. I ended up adding 3lbs of DME late and mine went up to 1.060.
I have since done this good stir on every batch (without adding more malt) and am always getting .058 and beyond.

So maybe a good stir will help

And it shouldn't affect the final beer much besides just a lower abv. Looks like you'll still get a solid 5-5.2% Porter which is still not bad.

You also want to be sure to adjust your gravity reading for temperature as the higher the temp the lower the reading will be. You generally want to cool it the temp the hydrometer is calibrated for. Most are 60F I've seen a few at 68F it should note it somewhere on the paper inside the hydrometer.

Yep, it said 60. It seemed that the correction was .002. I added that to the physical .046 to get .048. Still seemed off. I mixed it fairly well I thought. Oh well, I guess I will see what the FG is... Also still not sure if I should secondary, or just keep in primary longer. Thoughts?

I aerate the hell out of my wort after topping off. I use 5 gallon carboys, so I just plug in the stop and rock the baby for a good 2-3 minutes before taking any hydrometer readings. My second batch freaked me out because I didn't mix it well when I took the reading, it was low low. Then I remembered that I didn't mix it as well as I should have. If you have a bucket, I have no advice besides stirring because I have no experience with bucket fermenters.

I pour chilled wort & top off water through a fine mesh strainer sitting on top of my plastic FV's. Pour in a circular pattern so the strained wort comes out the bottom of the strainer like rain. Good aeration that way. And get out the grainy bits to boot. Then stir roughly for 5 minutes straight with my plastic paddle before hydrometer test & pitch.

If you used the right amount of extract and the right total gallons, the gravity will be right. As stated above, the gravity reading can be off because the mixing isn't perect. I don't worry about perfect mixing any more - the action of fermentation seems to mix it well.

i guess i should have taken a gravity reading on my first brew... damn, noob mistake. got excited and forgot. i just wanted to pitch the yeast.

Thanks Everyone! I guess I wont worry too much about it, as I have been told not to. Next up is Caribou Slobber. I love Moose Drool, and I am tired of having to pay $10 a sixer for it, so I hope that it is as good!

Back