Do I need to add yeast for bottling Russian Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxyaardvark

Reaction score
I have a 1.09 OG Russian Imperial Stout sitting in primary which I'm planning on leaving there for a total of around 6 weeks. I have read about many people adding additional yeast at the time of bottling when using a secondary fermentor. If I just keep the beer in my primary will I have enough yeast left in suspension to carbonate it properly without adding any additional yeast?

I have had a beer that I left in the primary for 5 weeks. Not as high of an OG, like 1.075. Bottled it with no problems. 70 degrees for 3 weeks is usually a good start to taste.

6 weeks? Probably don't need additional yeast. I've read 6 months is kind of the line... Will it hurt? Nope!

Six weeks is still pretty fresh, your main concern is how well your yeast can survive in a 9-10% beer. You should be fine where you're at, but your yeast may take longer than usual to carb your beer given the stressful conditions they work under, although if you made an RIS, aging is generally positive anyway. If you want to be 100% sure, just add some dried champagne yeast when you bottle. It costs at most $1 per pack and you really don't need to use anywhere near an entire pack. The champagne yeast has a very high alcohol tolerance and will only eat the bottling sugar without touching anything your regular yeast left behind.

Honestly, I wouldn't take any chances. If that beer attenuates out you are looking at 9% abv. at least. Having your yeast sit around for 6 weeks in such a toxic environment will surely not help their vitality. I would add some yeast just to be safe at bottling time - like champagne b/c it has a great alcohol tolerance and is very readily available and fairly cheap. No reason to risk not having your beer carbonate in the bottle and ruin a batch (probably one of your more expensive batches too!).

6 weeks and 9%; you will be fine. No need to add yeast. It will probably take longer than normal to carb.

I would say you are fine at that strength. It wouldn't hurt to add yeast I use Coopers for bottling since my lhbs only charges 75 cents for a packet.

You need to figure out what question you are asking.

Are you asking if you can bottle with the yeast that is left in there? That answer is yes.

If you are asking what to do to make the best beer possible? Then I would add back fresh yeast like others have said.

Beer is pretty forgiving and you can usually cut some corners and still make decent beer. But adding back some fresh dry yeast is pretty simple to do and then you know you did the best for your beer.

Calder said:
6 weeks and 9%; you will be fine. No need to add yeast. It will probably take longer than normal to carb.

Let's say hypothetically I had a similar question about a RIS at 8 weeks and 10% abv with WLP013.

Let's say hypothetically I had a similar question about a RIS at 8 weeks and 10% abv with WLP013.

Since you'd hypothetically be asking the same question, but with two extra weeks and possibly some extra alcohol, I would say that you'd get the same range of answers. Hypothetically speaking, that is. So tell your "friend" to buy a pack of champagne yeast.

I have had regular ol' bread yeast ferment out a mead to 17% ABV, and I have successfully fermented out several beers to 12-13% without doing anything crazy. So, I think it is a bit over-cautious to worry about 9-10% ABV, personally.

It will most likely carbonate faster with fresh yeast but if the beer would improve with some additional aging in the bottle I would bottle as is and let the slow carbonation be a good excuse for extended aging.

I add fresh yeast at bottling to every beer I make. I want those suckers to be carbed up in <3 days. I let my tastebuds tell me when it's time to bottle it. I had an RIS I didn't re-yeast that wasn't very old (<8 weeks), and it's a year later and they're still not fulled carbed. So, that's not a risk I'm willing to take anymore.

You need to figure out what question you are asking.

Are you asking if you can bottle with the yeast that is left in there? That answer is yes.

If you are asking what to do to make the best beer possible? Then I would add back fresh yeast like others have said.

Beer is pretty forgiving and you can usually cut some corners and still make decent beer. But adding back some fresh dry yeast is pretty simple to do and then you know you did the best for your beer.

I thought the question was pretty clear. I brewed a IIPA earlier this year, OG 1.087 and did not add yeast at bottling. It's been in the bottle for 3 months with ZERO carbonation. Wish I had pitched a 1/2 pack prior to bottling. Like some of the previous guys said, it does not hurt.

How does that make the beer better?

With WLP013 I would say you were lucky to get 10%. Yes, with that yeast, add champagne yeast at bottling.

I add fresh yeast at bottling to every beer I make. I want those suckers to be carbed up in <3 days. I let my tastebuds tell me when it's time to bottle it. I had an RIS I didn't re-yeast that wasn't very old (<8 weeks), and it's a year later and they're still not fulled carbed. So, that's not a risk I'm willing to take anymore.

I have only ever re-yeasted one beer (out of more than 200); a 12% Barley wine bottled around 4 months. Most of my beers sit for at least 2 months, usually more, often 4 or 5 months, and I have never had a carbonation problem.

I don't know what you are doing that prevents it from carbing.

I don't know what you are doing that prevents it from carbing.

Don't just say "YDIW" to me. It's reading advice like yours on HBT that made me think re-yeasting wasn't necessary. Obviously, you're just so cool and handsome that your beer always carbs up perfectly.

I'm not aware of any commercial brewery that bottle conditions without adding fresh yeast at bottling.

Nateo said:
Don't just say "YDIW" to me. It's reading advice like yours on HBT that made me think re-yeasting wasn't necessary. Obviously, you're just so cool and handsome that your beer always carbs up perfectly.

I'm not aware of any commercial brewery that bottle conditions without adding fresh yeast at bottling.

Commercial breweries process is different than home brewing and they remove the yeast well before bottling and conditioning so re-adding is necessary to complete the process:)

If one does choose to add at bottling a beer with that much alcohol make sure the yeast will tolerate that environment. I too have never added yeast and have never had a problem carbonating. Higher ABV will take longer but still carbonate nicely and still taste great!

What about adding yeast enigizer or nutrients at bottling? Has anyone tried that.

You don't really want to add nutrients once fermentation is complete. Yeast need certain nutrients for growth, but once they're done growing, any additional nutrients won't be used by yeast, and might be used by bugs.

Nah...

But seriously I wouldn't bother with it if you plan on letting them age in the bottle anyway. Nothing says you can't add new yeast, but I don't think you need or have to in this case.

Thanks for the responses all. I will most likely add some champagne yeast at the time of bottling just to be sure I don't have any carbonation issues. Am I correct in understanding that the champagne yeast will not influence the flavor of the beer in any way?

How much champagne yeast you plan on adding?

I know this is a little late but as an update...I spaced out and added the entire pack which was definitely overkill. I've heard that 1/4 a pack of champagne yeast is just fine. My RIS is already carbed and has a great head about 5 weeks after bottling so I'd say my experience with champagne yeast was a positive one. A little young but already tasty and will only get better! I'm actually thinking of using a little champagne yeast on all my beers now since this is the best carbonation and head I have ever had.

Back