Another Lady Brewer in NC, finally de-lurking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi from another female brewer in Durham, NC!

My husband & I have been at it about two years and are about 20 batches in. I'm finally kegging after a keezer build, thanks to the inspiration on this site's EPIC keezer thread. Thanks to you guys:

26621b38e02411e19c891231381b635c_5.jpg

Right now in the planning stages for building a jockey box for the Brew Durham homebrew competition in October.

It can get really expensive with no disapproving spouse to forbid equipment upgrades. Both of us are pretty obsessed.

I do a lot of the equipment building, and my husband takes the lead on brew days. We both work on recipes and clean and sanitize A LOT. Obviously.

We're brewing a chamomile pale ale this weekend!

Any other homebrewing couples on this board?

Awesome!

Another Durham brewer checking in. I live conveniently (too conveniently?) close to Bullcity Homebrew.

I'll send you a PM.

PS - Just had the Mikeller Citra single hop IPAD last night on draft at Ridgewood Beer and Wine.

Awesome!

Another Durham brewer checking in. I live conveniently (too conveniently?) close to Bullcity Homebrew.

I'll send you a PM.

PS - Just had the Mikeller Citra single hop IPAD last night on draft at Ridgewood Beer and Wine.

Thanks for the PM!

Our household basically paid Bull City Homebrew's rent for July, with the keezer build! I love that shop so much. Had a bad experience today with a lesser homebrew supply place and learned my lesson. Bull City Forever.

I had no idea Ridgewood had beer on draft--much less a Mikkeller Citra single hop! How was it? I hope the keg isn't empty before the weekend...

De-lurking just paid off in the best of ways, thanks for the heads up on Ridgewood. I'm obviously blinded by loyalty to Sam's.

Definitely check out ridgewood, open until 7 on weekdays. They have 16+ taps, mostly hard to find stuff. Here's the mikkeller. I didn't really get the citra. Followed this with a ballast point sculpin - awesome!

image-1109771332.jpg

We're brewing a chamomile pale ale this weekend!

Any other homebrewing couples on this board?

Probably my wife's #2 favorite, #1 is just about any fruit wheat. I've been brewing for a decade, she got started about two years ago, just after we got married.

Probably my wife's #2 favorite, #1 is just about any fruit wheat. I've been brewing for a decade, she got started about two years ago, just after we got married.
This is our first time brewing the chamomile pale ale--I'm excited. We just got a bunch of great looking chamomile from A Southern Season & it smells like magic!

Wits & wheats are among my favorite styles, but my heart kind of belongs to saisons & kolsches. It's hard to pick, I love almost every style of beer.

I've not brewed with fruit yet--do you have a favorite?

My husband doesn't brew at all, but he does help with some winemaking. He loves the beer, though!
That's fantastic. We haven't tried our hand at wine--we are so smitten with the beer, it's hard to deviate.

Also, my husband is a proud Michigander--he grew up in Saginaw! He tells me the UP is gorgeous country. Must be impossible to brew outside in the Winter like we do here in the South! Saw a photo of your electric rig--nice work. Really no need to brew outside, ever.

That's fantastic. We haven't tried our hand at wine--we are so smitten with the beer, it's hard to deviate.

Also, my husband is a proud Michigander--he grew up in Saginaw! He tells me the UP is gorgeous country. Must be impossible to brew outside in the Winter like we do here in the South! Saw a photo of your electric rig--nice work. Really no need to brew outside, ever.

That's why I needed to build an indoor system- the climate really isn't very hospitable to outdoor brewing most of the year. It's pretty, though! :D

This is our first time brewing the chamomile pale ale--I'm excited. We just got a bunch of great looking chamomile from A Southern Season & it smells like magic!

Wits & wheats are among my favorite styles, but my heart kind of belongs to saisons & kolsches. It's hard to pick, I love almost every style of beer.

I've not brewed with fruit yet--do you have a favorite?

Welcome to the forum. I've got a tried and true chamomile wheat recipe in my recipe pulldown over there ← . Might want to check that out and see if it is something that would appeal to you.

Welcome to the forum. I've got a tried and true chamomile wheat recipe in my recipe pulldown over there ← . Might want to check that out and see if it is something that would appeal to you.
Ooh thanks. That photo alone is killing me--look at that pillowy head! We will be trying that recipe.

Having the 4 oz of Chamomile in for the whole 60 minute boil surprised me--the flavor didn't disappear? We're debating how much to add/when to add to a pale...

seatbelt123 said:
Definitely check out ridgewood, open until 7 on weekdays. They have 16+ taps, mostly hard to find stuff. Here's the mikkeller. I didn't really get the citra. Followed this with a ballast point sculpin - awesome!

Checked out this place yesterday & was so impressed. Had the Citra & the Triangle Lambic. Picked up a bottle of Caldera strong golden with roses... Thanks again for the rec!

Back