another mash temp question alpha/beta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I am in the middle of rereading how to brew, I was wondering if any one had any thoughts about this
-
optimum temperature range working pH range

beta amylase 131-150 5.0-5.5
alpha amylase 154-162 5.3-5.7

so my question is I use 5.2 in my mash and I like maltier beers so I mash a lot at the alpha range will alpha amylase be active if the pH is a little low?
and what about mashing between 150-154 what enzyme activity will there be?
the only way I have to check my pH are those pH strips.
another question I have been thinking about is how do campden tablets increase efficiency?
any help is appreciated

From what I understand (and I'm no chemist) is that both enzymes will be active, but the temperature will favor one vs the other. If you're using pH 5.2 stabilizer, there's no reason to check your pH, it's 5.2 (or like 5.4 with temberature adjustment), right where you want it. If you're mashing in the 150-154 range, then both enzymes will be active, favoring the beta in the lower part of that range.

If you want more information than that, you'll have to talk to someone smarter about that stuff than me. ;)

Oh, and I don't know anything about the campden tablets with brewing. I've used them when making wine. I know they kill off any bacteria or wild yeast, and then you pitch the yeast like 12 hours later. I think it can also eliminate chlorine and chloramine, but again, I've never tried it. I make great beer without it. :D

The campden tablets will do nothing for your efficiency.

Your mash temp will have far more effect on your final gravity, maltiness and body then the pH and will be somewhat dependant on your system, process and water. Once you have a consistent process you will find you can quickly tweak a recipe by changing the mash temp by a few degrees to hit your final gravity. If you want maltier beers then you will adjust your mash temp higher. If they are too malty then mash at a lower temp.

Another thing...

How are you defining "malty"? As a taste characteristic, or as a mouthfeel characteristic? Higher mash temps will leave more residual dextrines, resulting in a higher FG/greater mouthfeel. But, those dextrines are basically tasteless - they aren't the reason that something like a bock has that great bready flavor. Maltiness, in the sense of something TASTING malty, is a product primarily of the grain bill; using an English pale malt instread of domestic 2-row, or using Munich, melanoidin, aromatic, or certain crystal malts.

The mash temp will impact the mouthfeel, but not really the flavor, per se.

very helpful, thanks for the replies.
-
I'm just curious why Palmer would not state that both enzymes are active at the 150-154 range, the table does show that range as the target though and temps are listed as optimum range. so at what temps are these enzymes inactive?
-
I like both the mouth feel and the taste characteristic of beer but so far I have been using both temp and malt in most of my recipes for a malty beer, that is something I'm going to have to experiment. thanks
-
also what temps change pH if I'm really at 5.4 not 5.2?

killian said:
also what temps change pH if I'm really at 5.4 not 5.2?
The pH isn't changed, just the reading. I liken it to reading your hydrometer in hot wort and making corrections. Here's a chart I found that (I think) shows what I'm talking about - not that I ever know what I'm talking about. ;)

Temp°C Correction Factor
40 Plus 0.45
39 Plus 0.42
38 Plus 0.39
37 Plus 0.36
36 Plus 0.33
35 Plus 0.30
34 Plus 0.27
33 Plus 0.24
32 Plus 0.21
31 Plus 0.18
30 Plus 0.15