Fermentation, cold crash, age, carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmcl

Reaction score
Team- I wanted to know what you thought of my typical process when it comes to your average APA whic i make a ton of.

1. Primary 3-4 weeks at 66-68 degrees
2. 1 week cold crash in same primary vessel ~37 degrees
3. Rack to keg, carb at serving presser for 2 weeks ( I like 10 PSI) ~37 degrees
4. Drink in 27.3 days

Any comments on temp, time, process or anything else welcome.

27.3 is a long time to drink that beer, seems above average to me. i think you'll be more satisfied with the results if you cut that down to, say, 19.8 days.

otherwise, looks solid.

I keg most beers after 2 weeks in primary, about 3 days of that old crashing, and then use the "shake the s*it" carving method. I'm quite happy with my results... as are those who help me drink it, including judges ;)

So if I understand your grain to glass time is 6-7 weeeks...that seems like a long time for an average APA. I tend to consume much fresher, but do notice that the last few pints are the smoothest, but the fresh brew also has nice bolder flavors. I usually force carb at 30 psi for 36 hours to get a head start on carbing.

#3 for two weeks is really the "ideal" scenario. Once it's in the keg under pressure i can't help but to have a little every day.

I think one of the features of an APA is the nice hop flavor/aroma and that aroma starts to dissipate fairly quickly. I like to ferment for 2 weeks, dry hop a week and then bottle (kegging would be about the same time) for a couple weeks and start drinking. APA's don't have the dark malts that take a long time to mature so why wait so long?

+1 to above. My last APA I primaried for 2 weeks, dry hopped for a week in the primary, cold crashed for a day, force carbed for 3 days and drank the heck out of it. It was great and I was drinking it less than 4 weeks after brewing.

PJM said:
+1 to above. My last APA I primaried for 2 weeks, dry hopped for a week in the primary, cold crashed for a day, force carbed for 3 days and drank the heck out of it. It was great and I was drinking it less than 4 weeks after brewing.

Primary 1 week then add dry hops for another week, crash and carb for 4 days... drinking in less than 3 weeks. Word :)

Yeah, primary for a week, clarification/dry hop for a week to ten days, cold crash three days and you have beer. Unless it is over 1.070, that is my process for everything. That being said, I make sure that my ferment is solid so that it will be finished fermentation by day 7 (though often find it is done by day 5 if I keep it warm enough during the winter and cool enough during the summer). APA's taste really good by week three in the keg and week five in the bottle. Less time to oxidate too. Good Luck!

Back