The ways of using extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredstein

Reaction score
Is there any difference between dumping 7 lbs of liquid extract to the pot with 2 gallons of hot water (started to boil, then was removed from the range), and first adding some cool water to the extract to make it thinner, and then adding this thinned extract to the hot water? I tried both ways, and they look the same to me, although I have just started, and may be missing something. In other words, what do the experienced folks do, and what are pros and cons of these two approaches?

No diff. I think adding the water would be a mess.
Not really. You just need a bowl, a bucket, or something big enough. The extract I buy comes in small plastic jars (7 lbs max), so I just dump half of my extract into an old jar from the previous brewing, and top both jars with water. It takes only a few minutes to make it super thin, and there is no extract on the walls - that was my main concern.

I would try late additions of your LME to give better overall flavor

start with 1-2 lbs for your boil, then add the rest after flameout

it will lighten the color and lessen the caramel flavors from the LME "caramelizing" with an extended boil

I do late additions myself. But I use plain DME in mine,so I use half of a 3lb bag in my partial boil of 2.5-3 gallons of water. Do my hop additions,then add the rest of the DME & all the LME at flame out.
I get lighter colors,& cleaner flavor that way.

Back