Stout Recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
6 lbs. DME

Simpson’s Black Malt 1 lbs

Simpson's Chocolate Malt .75 lbs.

Roasted Barley .50 lbs.

Briess Caramel 90L .25 lbs

4 oz. Cocoa Powder @ 10 minutes

Hops
1 oz. Brewer’s Gold @ 60 minute
.50 oz Uk Fuggles @ 0 minutes

5 lbs.(More???) or Blueberry in secondary for 5 days.

Yeast
Us-04, or US05

Trying to make a Blueberry Stout. Not trying to have overpowering blueberry presence, but enough to notice that it is there. Pretty new to making recipes so feel free to give any advice you have.

DO you recommend using Dark Dry Malt Extract?

I am making a blueberry porter currently. I used 5 lb Dark LME and 1 lb choc malt. 1 oz Northern Brewer hops at 60 and .5 oz Northern Brewer at 10 min. It's currently in the secondary for about another week with 4 lbs of frozen blueberries. It had a great taste and aroma when I transferred to the secondary and added the blueberries. Will post more once I get out of secondary this week and move to tertiary as well as when I bottle it and once it's carbonated.

I am making a blueberry porter currently. I used 5 lb Dark LME and 1 lb choc malt. 1 oz Northern Brewer hops at 60 and .5 oz Northern Brewer at 10 min. It's currently in the secondary for about another week with 4 lbs of frozen blueberries. It had a great taste and aroma when I transferred to the secondary and added the blueberries. Will post more once I get out of secondary this week and move to tertiary as well as when I bottle it and once it's carbonated.

good stuff. I have already altered my recipe alot.

heres what I have come up with:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 76.14 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 12.69 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.35 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
0.13 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.65 %
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (16 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
4.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
7.00 lb Blueberries (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

I figured I didn't want too much roastyness because I don't think the blueberries would pair nicely with that. I want moderate roast, not too much coffee flavor, and moderate to high chocolate flavor to pair with a mild blueberry flavor. Will see what happens i guess!

Back