My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They both look good to me.....although your "conditioned" picture looks more like my crush, and I don't condition.

They both look good to me.....although your "conditioned" picture looks more like my crush, and I don't condition.

Thanks for the second set of eyes...the crush just seems a lot finer than what I'd gotten previously from Midwest/NB. But I guess that's the point of building this thing and milling yourself, huh?

Well, I finally got the rig assembled and ready for her maiden grind. Here's a pic fully assembled:
Wujf9.jpg

I didn't do anything spectacularly innovative; just built on wilserbrewer's design with a couple parts that the hopper rests on. If anyone wants to see more pics and some of the hardware I used, check my build gallery here: My Ugly Junk Build Gallery

Time to mill some grains!

thought ya'll would find this entertaining :) found it while searchin for some milling stuff

Exercycle.jpg

Thanks for the second set of eyes...the crush just seems a lot finer than what I'd gotten previously from Midwest/NB. But I guess that's the point of building this thing and milling yourself, huh?

Well, I finally got the rig assembled and ready for her maiden grind. Here's a pic fully assembled:
Wujf9.jpg

I didn't do anything spectacularly innovative; just built on wilserbrewer's design with a couple parts that the hopper rests on. If anyone wants to see more pics and some of the hardware I used, check my build gallery here: My Ugly Junk Build Gallery

Time to mill some grains!

Damn that looks good! Very nice. I might have to copy your build if mine doesn't work out, although I am sure mine wont look near as nice.

Swoot! my soon to be ugly junk just got in! i can't wait to get home and play with it and uglify it!

and! it's here!!! i shouldn't be this excited, but damn, i couldn't stop grinding 2 row... but i know it'll get tiring here in a few brews...

5473008208_906d17b876.jpg

a little weird... where you guys haev been putting your bolt, this one does not have one, just a small nub that sticks into the other part... if that makes sense..

and! for the ceremonies, i got some new tubs for my grains and organized.

5472415277_26bc5c56b9_z.jpg

thanks to revvy! and everyone else in this thread... now i just gotta figure out how to make it the standard ugly... lol

a little weird... where you guys haev been putting your bolt, this one does not have one, just a small nub that sticks into the other part... if that makes sense..

It doesn't make sense, which bolt are you talking about? The one that replaces the one on the handle?

What starfish said, i'll try and take a picture here soon,

but where that cotter pin is on all of these, it's just a long ended bolt that goes into the other part that adjusts the depth of the crush... only way i can figure out that i can tighten that thing up without being able to ad the small bolt, is to add a washer at the end and bolt it back on...

sounds a bit confusing but i'll get pics on here as soon as i can!

i haven't read a for sure answer on this..
is there any reason to use the washers on the side where the wing nuts are? seems like it wouldn't change a thing except extend the side and you would still have to adjust the crush back to where it was in the first place..

The corona mill is actually a corn flour mill. Putting the washers on the sides keeps the mill from being dialed in to tight and making flour.

couldn't you just dial it out more? i guess that is what im' confused on

It's been a long time since those washers where out, but it was grinding very fine without them.. Washers for gap open wider than standard adjustment range (Shop I bought mine from suggested this adjustment the day I bought the mill, tried a bit of crystal malt without them and it powdered it... slapped the washers in and it crushed (courser than it does now, because I had a bad wobble).

Washers for gap open wider than standard adjustment range

I noticed a few pictures with these washer in but haven't seen the tread about it. I just received mine a few days ago and I did put a couple washers on the back side right in front of the wing nuts (the wing nuts kinda fall into the slot) and that made if fit better.

But, as far as washers between the mill and the burr plate adjuster I'm not sure mine would need that. Note: I have not run any grain through mine as of yet.

It seem that my adjustment goes far wider then the "credit card" width I hear is a good starting point.

I just have them between the side wingnut adjustments not the plates themselves. washers are on bolt that replaced cotter pin just to make it able to tighten and hold plate.

i haven't read a for sure answer on this..
is there any reason to use the washers on the side where the wing nuts are? seems like it wouldn't change a thing except extend the side and you would still have to adjust the crush back to where it was in the first place..

Some people will tell you that you have to have them to get the right crush, some people will tell you that you don't need them. Reality is both are right for their particular mills. There is such a loose standard of tolerance in the manufacture of these mills that some mills simply won't open far enough without the washers to give an acceptable crush from brewing. On the flip side of that, some mills like mine (a victoria brand knockoff of the corona) can be, without washers, loosened up to the point the grain would simply fall through.

So there is no "for sure" answer, you have to be prepared to make adjustments to your mill as necessary and don't make adjustments where they are not necessary.

You may need to add washers, or not
You may need to replace the cotter pin with a bolt, or not
You may need to rotate the retaining collar 90 degrees with the cotter pin OR bolt, or not.
You may need to stand on one foot facing north while operating the mill, or probably not.

The only modification I had to do was rotate the retaining collar so the cotter pin was in the shallower detentes. YMMV

awesome! thanks for the reply :) i can open mine to a good 1/2" gap, so i think i'm fine there, but i'll spend the .50 cents on washers and see if it helps at all.
does anyone have a really good close up of the crush i'm supposed to have? the picture in the wiki isn't that big and kinda hard to see.
or the picture of the gap? that way i can get some rough estimates. i think i have it pretty much dialed in, but would like to see that as well :) mostly everyone has covers on theirs so the grain doesn't fly lol and i can't see

well here is my junk in action!

here is the grind, i did tighten it a bit after this

5482693759_558e8140fe_b.jpg

and here is that part i was talking about, no bolt/cotterpin. so i bought a washer which made it not wobble at all.

5482694809_1713f43660_b.jpg

i have some brewz mashin as we speak :) so i'll know my brewhouse numbers after this i hope! :) although i think i miscounted my grain... whoops! my mash seemed a little thin...

well here is my junk in action!

here is the grind, i did tighten it a bit after this

5482693759_558e8140fe_b.jpg

and here is that part i was talking about, no bolt/cotterpin. so i bought a washer which made it not wobble at all.

5482694809_1713f43660_b.jpg

i have some brewz mashin as we speak :) so i'll know my brewhouse numbers after this i hope! :) although i think i miscounted my grain... whoops! my mash seemed a little thin...

Never seen THAT design before...now we see what you were talking about!!! That actually looks like a better design than most. Let us know what your numbers turn out to be :mug:

i do no chill brewing (no BIAB, just the no chill part) so i wont know for another day or so, but went smoothly! and the wort smelled absolutely amazing, and was SUPER sugary for only being 9 pounds of grain! so hopefully that is good things to come :)

Not really a parts list unfortunately, my mill came like that (with the nub and no cotterpin) i had just added the washer to the inside of it. (i think it was 1/2" ID, i'll double check when i get home) i'll snap some more pics so you can see how it is assembled though. might give you guys some ideas on how to revamp your mills!
if anyone does want to order one, here is the amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004444XWO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
they said it might vary though so i'm not sure how likely it is ya'll would get the same one.
i couldn't find any pictures across the net of the one i have though, so it might be a fluke or somethin! who knows. but does have "corona" stamped onto it along with "500" under the bowl where the grain goes down into

ALSO! it did come in a different box then what is shown at amazon.. i'll grab some photos of that tonight as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a parts list unfortunately, my mill came like that (with the nub and no cotterpin) i had just added the washer to the inside of it. (i think it was 1/2" ID, i'll double check when i get home) i'll snap some more pics so you can see how it is assembled though. might give you guys some ideas on how to revamp your mills!
if anyone does want to order one, here is the amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004444XWO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
they said it might vary though so i'm not sure how likely it is ya'll would get the same one.
i couldn't find any pictures across the net of the one i have though, so it might be a fluke or somethin! who knows. but does have "corona" stamped onto it along with "500" under the bowl where the grain goes down into

ALSO! it did come in a different box then what is shown at amazon.. i'll grab some photos of that tonight as well.

Interesting, what holds the collar in place, is there a set screw or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
kinda a set screw, but here are the pics so it all makes sense, seeing as i have the "odd man" corona type mill lol
i did end up with 70% on my first batch with the mill (well 69%, but might as well round up :p ) so all in all, not bad! may tighten it up a bit on the next go around.

my brewing partner in crime
5487307075_a409a9cc9c.jpg

and because i only had large washers layin around from my cooler conversion, i decided to put them to use, and work just fine! plus now my mill has eyeballs...
5487899288_2f1c8b7a46.jpg

the marks on the mill itself
5487303867_51c4463994.jpg

the layout so you can see that weird bolt thing (and the washer i got for it, i can't find a measuring tape for it, so i can't get the ID)
5487894618_85533bc12f_b.jpg

and here is the weird bolt without the washer on it so you can see how it connects and how it looks
5487895960_da988134ba.jpg

here is the sample of the wheat beer i made (dogfish head dude, sam something, his blood orange heffe, blood oranges were almost $8 for this batch!) (and don't laugh at the background :p the freddies bag was for the blood oranges and the margarita glasses were for the other samples in primary :p )
5487307349_9f336b616a.jpg

and my current beverage of choice? full sails boardhead barleywine... it's very nommy, it's 9% alcohol, but un/fortunately you can't really tell! :) it's actually very good, very low on hops, non overpowering maltyness, but is a very great barleywine!
5487302943_18ff85501d.jpg

oh and here is the recipe! changed it a bit from DME/LME to all grain and added just a tad more grain along with .5# carapills.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 57.89 %
3.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.84 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
munich yeast (couldn't decide between coopers (my backup and favorite) or munich, but deicided to try a wheat yeast for a wheat beer) hopefully it's not to dubbel or trippel tasting. not my preferred favroite! but i'll cross my fingers :)

and i peeled the blood oranges and got the meat into about a quart of water along with about 8 oranges... was a little scary and i'll have to watch this one... there is only about 3/4 of a gallon of headroom in the bucket... that is a bit scary

I'll be getting my mill next week. Whatever variation discount Tommy is selling this time around. I love this thread, and I will be the new generation of ugly milling! I'll post pics once I get it to see what I may have to do to set in my crush.

no problem! glad i could be of assistance! glad ya like my brewing partner :) technical rescue dog. Aussie Sheppard and red heeler, her name is chloe, but i refer to her as ******* alot.

the layout so you can see that weird bolt thing (and the washer i got for it, i can't find a measuring tape for it, so i can't get the ID)
5487894618_85533bc12f_b.jpg

and here is the weird bolt without the washer on it so you can see how it connects and how it looks
5487895960_da988134ba.jpg

Interesting variation, the end of the shaft is threaded into the auger instead of being part of it. Conceivably one could grind down the end so the plates would open further without having to add washers. But the washers are a simpler solution.

Thanks for the post.

no problem! glad i could be of assistance! glad ya like my brewing partner :) technical rescue dog. Aussie Sheppard and red heeler, her name is chloe, but i refer to her as ******* alot.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)

I thought I would post my completed project here since you all inspired me so much.

I got in on a group buy of grain so I had no choice, I had to get a mill.

So I purchased all the parts and built this today.
I inserted washers on the outside bolts of the mill to get it to seat well. I do notice a slight wobble on the plate and may install a bolt to replace to pin as others have done, but i think i did enough for today.

The crush looks good for now.

(Sorry, links only for now. Need to upgrade that membership soon.)
http://www.imagebam.com/image/5685eb122328051
http://www.imagebam.com/image/08367d122328062
http://www.imagebam.com/image/319ace122328074
http://www.imagebam.com/image/29bc0b122328082

Dann, looks real nice. great job.

I noticed you have a cover over your burr plates, kinda like the part of a can or something. mine didn't come with a cover over the top part of the plates.

Did you put that on? does anyone think that is required?

I noticed you have a cover over your burr plates, .............
Did you put that on? does anyone think that is required?

Not required at all, some mills have a cover on the burr plate to keep the milled grain from flying all about, some don't. Without a cover on the plate can be a little messy...if you mill indoors you will likely want something. Previous posters have done many things to direct the milled grain. It can be as simple as putting a plastic bag over the mill head, or mounting the mill in a covered bucket. see link below

Mine came with that little cover. It is just a cheap plastic shroud.

I havent actually milled a full batch with it yet so i have determined if it is worth keeping on since i have it mounted in a bucket with a lid anyways.

I am afraid with how close it is to the burr plate that is might clog up.

I installed mine in an upside down bucket and then hot glued the rim to the top of another bucket with the lid on. Cut the center of the lid out and bam... Seems pretty good but I haven't used it yet, so not sure how good it will work out...
So,I'm not worried about the cover even if I use it inside I think it will work good.

i installed mine in an upside down bucket and then hot glued the rim to the top of another bucket with the lid on. Cut the center of the lid out and bam... Seems pretty good but i haven't used it yet, so not sure how good it will work out...
So,i'm not worried about the cover even if i use it inside i think it will work good.

pics???

Back