Double Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac335

Reaction score
So I brewed an AHBS Double Chocolate Stout (Partial Mash) last week. It took it a month for it to get here so I was a little worried about the yeast dying out.

Brewed and pitched yeast(WLP013) at 72 degrees

Called for OG= 1.056 Measured OG=1.066 (Added in a little alchohol boost as well as Brewvint yeast fuel)

Yeast start up was a little sluggish.

Air Lock activity was just about nill untill about 36hours and was active for about 48 hours but now ZERO airlock activity within a few minutes.

After 5 days, Gravity read 1.022 and two days later Gravity read 1.022= NO CHANGE.

I still need to secondary ferment for another week so do you guys think it will drop to the est. FG of 1.012? If not should I pitch in some more yeast?

All I have on hand is some Safale S-04 Dry ale yeast.

What temp have you had the primary at?

If it's been on the low end of the scale, you might warm it up a couple degrees and give it a gentle swirl to see if it restarts.

Temp range for that yeast is 66-71.

What temp have you had the primary at?

If it's been on the low end of the scale, you might warm it up a couple degrees and give it a gentle swirl to see if it restarts.

Temp range for that yeast is 66-71.

Started at 73 and dropped to 68 after airlock activity died out

I'm not the most experienced here, but I'd give it another few days. If it's still at the same SG, give it a gentle swirl to get the yeast resuspended and then check after another week.

I brewed a chocolate stout recently, 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary and now it's been bottled just over two weeks. I was also very high on all my gravity readings:
OG (called for): 1.054 OG (measured): 1.070
FG (called for): 1.013 FG (measured): 1.030

The drop (0.040) is about the same for both cases, so I didn't worry about it. I think the same is true in your case. I'd be surprised if you could get it to drop the rest of the way.

I brewed a chocolate stout recently, 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary and now it's been bottled just over two weeks. I was also very high on all my gravity readings:
OG (called for): 1.054 OG (measured): 1.070
FG (called for): 1.013 FG (measured): 1.030

The drop (0.040) is about the same for both cases, so I didn't worry about it. I think the same is true in your case. I'd be surprised if you could get it to drop the rest of the way.

Sorry bud, but going from 1.054 to 1.013 is not the same as 1.070 to 1.030. Yeast do not eat up a certain number of points, they attenuate a certain percentage. I don't know what yeast you used, but you could be in store for some bottle bombs.

As for the OP, I would do as ChshreCat said and leave it for a couple days and check the SG. If it doesn't drop give it a swirl and check it a few days later.

Couple things - I have brewed this and it is outstanding AFTER a couple months - Great earlier but it really does need time to be GREAT. good luck with that.

Now - what did you mini mash the brew at???

I got mine down to 1.013 but I did not do the alcohol boost.

I have to think you have unfermented sugar from the mash. I don't think more yeast will help.

At ANY rate - it'll turned out great - trust me.

I tasted it when I transfered to the secondary and it was pretty damn good. I't taste overly sweet at all. It was very similar to chocolate and Milk stouts I've had in the past as far as the sweetness goes.

Back