WLP001 for 9.5% DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I'm going to brew up some double IPA next weekend which should come out to around 9.5% ABV. Will WLP001 be able to handle this? I have some in the fridge and would like to use it, but only if it will live. I could save it for another batch later.

As an alternative I was thinking of trying WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast which has a higher alcohol tolerance.

Thoughts?

As long as you pitch the proper amount for that gravity, it should do just fine. With that big a beer you attenuation may not be as high as you are used to, so keep that in mind.

The 001 should do just fine as long as you pitch enough cells. Since you already have it, I say use it. 090 is a great yeast, too, but honestly the 001 won't have any trouble at all fermenting to 9.5%.

Wlp001 is pretty much the same as us-05 and an HBT member recently told me he has used 05 in beers between 8-11% ABV without difficulty. Should be fine but make sure you have plenty of soldiers to win the invasion! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back