Ever make something simple harder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
*Start Self Rant*

Ok so i'm doing online college through Kaplan University, i have no bad things to say about it so far. I'm an IT major with an emphasis in Programming. I started Visual Basic this term. Not but two weeks into and the project is to Edit a pre-existing program. I could have done most of the work the other night had i done the excersizes, all i would have to do is add a dang cancel button. For the major work they eve provided me with the code i'd need.

So, in other words i made that small simple thing hard.

Next, we were suppose to DESIGN a GUI. I was sitting here racking my brains and pouring though the past 2 weeks readings trying to find the coding i needed to make the darn thing work, to no avail. Then i realized it was just DESIGNING it. I spent three hours that should have taken me 30 minutes.

THEN, yes it doesn't end their folks, I uploaded things WRONG into the drop box. So i went back and re-upped my assignments.

*End Self Rant*

Man, i need beer and sleep.... not necessarily in that order, but much preferred.

Rebuilt an electronic overdrive automatic transmission once.... Ok, it's hardly a simple thing, but i missed one teenie tiny little snap ring during reassembly and after reinstalling the tranny in the truck...... I had to start completely over...... When I got the tranny back inside the shop and started the process of cleaning and prepping the room for the tear-down, I found the little snap ring on the floor under a piece of trash. good side: i knew what was wrong. bad side: installing that little booger was supposed to happen at about step 4 out of hundreds and hundreds of steps. i guess this is an example of making a hard task even harder.

shafferpilot said:
Rebuilt an electronic overdrive automatic transmission once....
I got mine apart...With full intentions of rebuilding it....Then ended up putting the whole thing in 4 boxes and taking it to the "Local Expert" who yelled at me...A LOT!

shafferpilot said:
Rebuilt an electronic overdrive automatic transmission once.... Ok, it's hardly a simple thing, but i missed one teenie tiny little snap ring during reassembly and after reinstalling the tranny in the truck...... I had to start completely over...... When I got the tranny back inside the shop and started the process of cleaning and prepping the room for the tear-down, I found the little snap ring on the floor under a piece of trash. good side: i knew what was wrong. bad side: installing that little booger was supposed to happen at about step 4 out of hundreds and hundreds of steps. i guess this is an example of making a hard task even harder.

Hardly a simple thing.... for me.

But i mean this could be considered something i could do everyday. It was simple, here's the scenario, design what the program will LOOK like.

"Now lenny, just pet the rabbit"
"DUH, OKAY GEORGE!"
"What happened lenny?"
"I pet it, and loved it, and squeezed it forever!"
"I only asked you to pet it you big dumb retard" *gun shot*

[Note: Sorry for the morbid version of that play i'm tired and that's what i felt like]

---

I swear if i ever do that with brewing i'll never forgive myself.... Like one day... man where's all my wort? OH YEAH! I FORGOT TO SPARGE! lol, never done that thankfully i take pride in careful detail.... well maybe not careful deatil but at least i don't brew recklessly.

As a programmer myself I can say this: my best work I'm STILL not happy with! Code is never done, there's just other code to write. I'd say the more you overthink, and the more you work something over in your mind the better it will turn out (eventually). And as a practical note, I now plan out my code in excruciating detail...lots and lots of thought goes in before any code comes out. This helps me produce clean, concise code with less bugs and "work arounds". When I am hurried with something or don't plan it out enough...it comes out looking like Microsofts last operating system!

Keep up the good work!

TwoHeadsBrewing said:
As a programmer myself I can say this: my best work I'm STILL not happy with! Code is never done, there's just other code to write. I'd say the more you overthink, and the more you work something over in your mind the better it will turn out (eventually). And as a practical note, I now plan out my code in excruciating detail...lots and lots of thought goes in before any code comes out. This helps me produce clean, concise code with less bugs and "work arounds". When I am hurried with something or don't plan it out enough...it comes out looking like Microsofts last operating system!

Keep up the good work!

Heh, yeah well i waited till a couple hours before it was due to even start so there's problem 1. I don't plan to make a very good grade on the TOE chart the instructor wanted basically because i damn near forgot it and threw it together in 30 seconds.

As i learn code i plan to have a good work ethic about it, plan it very well, and don't wait, lol. Till then i'm going by the book and at least 1 day before it's due.

DeadYetiBrew said:
I swear if i ever do that with brewing i'll never forgive myself.... Like one day... man where's all my wort? OH YEAH! I FORGOT TO SPARGE! lol, never done that thankfully i take pride in careful detail.... well maybe not careful deatil but at least i don't brew recklessly.

I did leave the valve open on the kettle once.. Started the sparge, walked away and came back and saw beer on the driveway. :eek: Luckily I didn't loose very much since it took a while to reach the height of the valve. But that could have been bad. Real bad.

DeadYetiBrew said:
Heh, yeah well i waited till a couple hours before it was due to even start so there's problem 1. I don't plan to make a very good grade on the TOE chart the instructor wanted basically because i damn near forgot it and threw it together in 30 seconds.

As i learn code i plan to have a good work ethic about it, plan it very well, and don't wait, lol. Till then i'm going by the book and at least 1 day before it's due.
When I was in school I always started working on my programming assignments soon after they were assigned.

Just get it done and out of the way so you have time to study and have a beer. The assignments will get harder and you don't want to panic in the 11th hour. The stress is not worth it.

BigKahuna said:
I got mine apart...With full intentions of rebuilding it....Then ended up putting the whole thing in 4 boxes and taking it to the "Local Expert" who yelled at me...A LOT!

Ahhh. You're one of THOSE guys :p

Back