Driving From Chicago to FLA what should I bring back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commandercool724

Reaction score
I will be driving from Chicago to The Florida keys for vacation later this year and was wondering what local brews I should try and stock up on the way down to drink while I am on vacation and what I should get from the south to bring back home with me. I am obviously looking for things I cant get in Chicago.

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations

Jai alai ipa from cigar city!

If you can get your hands on their white oak or spanish cedar version you will be even happier.

I enjoy some of Tampa bay breweries beers too like old elephant foot I think is the name. Another nice ipa.

Terrapin's Monks Revenge Belgian Style IPA just came out for this year! Others from Terrapin would be Maggie's Farmhouse which is a peach farmhouse ale, Rye Pale Ale, and Hopsecutioner IPA

Others I would suggest would: Sweetwater's IPA, Waterkeeper Ale Hefe (might be on the shelves on your way home) LowRYEder IPA, and the new Dank Tank Something Strange Black IPA (Dank Tanks are one off brews usually very good).

Jailhouse Brewing's Breakout Stout is very good and pick up the Deep, Deep, Deep Cover IPA if its still out there.

Red Brick Black Eye Rye is another good Black Rye IPA if you can still find it.

I would definitely recommend sweet Water. I sampled a number of their brews a couple of weeks back. I attended one of their local festivals and got to sample several one off brews and their regular stuff. I'm not a big IPA fan but that is their specialty.

knuckleheadbrewing said:
check into some Cigar City brews from Tampa....
Also Sweetwater when you pass through Atlanta GA
Intuition Ale Works if you make it to Jacksonville

Ditto on the Cigar City, while I am not a HUGE fan, they do make some tasty stuff. The Jai Alai is a well made IPA. they also have a Helles that might float your boat. Some rave about the bourbon aged stout, but not likely you'll be able to find that. try some yuengling lager while you're down south . I am not sure how widespread its availability it, but its a nice beer.

Also would agree on the sweet water. There are supposedly a whole boatload of micros in Atlanta area.

TD

Definitely Intuition (I-10 IPA is awesome)or Bold City (if you stop in tell them its your first time there and you get a full spread sampler for free) if you plan on some time in Jacksonville. Both are really cool places to hang out and have a few brews. Swamp Head (love their Midnight Oil) in gainesville is pretty good too. Terrapin (HOPSECUTIONER!) and Sweetwater if you plan on stopping in GA. Just a few suggestions...

Back