The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. I tried to keep my mouth shut cos I don't like talking about my work too often but I felt the need to let people know that the MLS clubs do have youth setups in one fashion or another. Can't possibly comment on how the other clubs do it but the Union's setup does work well.

You'll probably see some 'homegrown' players from their youth setup coming through in around 5 years I reckon.

Haha. I tried to keep my mouth shut cos I don't like talking about my work too often but I felt the need to let people know that the MLS clubs do have youth setups in one fashion or another. Can't possibly comment on how the other clubs do it but the Union's setup does work well.

You'll probably see some 'homegrown' players from their youth setup coming through in around 5 years I reckon.

An odd questions....but is the Union youth set-up similar to "Academy" type set-ups which also includes schooling, or is that a future concept at this point?

An odd questions....but is the Union youth set-up similar to "Academy" type set-ups which also includes schooling, or is that a future concept at this point?

Good question, because I know a lot of MLS clubs have true academies.

Not any schooling no. And to be honest I don't know if it's in the pipeline or not right now. I haven't been privy to that sort of classified info!

So are you allowed to give an honest opinion and insight on the Nowak-era? :D

Haha I've only recently started working with them so I couldn't possibly say!

Bear in mind, I don't know of any clubs that operate their own schooling. Even Barcelona don't. The kids stay there but are then bused to top schools in Barcelona and then come back to their academy. A lot of the kids in our Union setup already go to top schools in the area anyway.

That's pretty cool. I honestly didn't know clubs had actually started schooling their own kids within their academy. Even now, it's still relatively new. I know my old pro club in Scotland, Dundee United, have a partnership with a local high school.

Some of the kids train at the school in the morning, missing the first 90mins of lessons and then head off to lessons with the rest of their team/class mates. Other clubs do the same obviously but it's the first time I'd heard a club employing teachers for actual lessons.

Every day is a school day! :)

It's more than cool, the academy was a major factor in Southampton's survival from financial ruin. A few years back they were facing liquidation. The key to finding a new buyer was that we had a new ground. Another major factor though, was the value of the academy. It helped make Saints a viable purchase.
In the future, they hope to be in a position to keep their new players, but in the past few years alone the sales of Bale, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain have more than covered the expenses of the academy. :)

Yeah I read the report. Makes for good reading actually.

I take it, from reading your post, that you're a bit of a Saints fan?

Yeah I read the report. Makes for good reading actually.

I take it, from reading your post, that you're a bit of a Saints fan?

Yep, Southampton born and bred. I'm kinda glad that we don't get to choose which teams we support. Makes it more fun that way!! :D You?

I must confess, I've never taken any interest in Scottish football except when Aberdeen were upsetting the apple cart all those years ago, I loved it! .........But if I'd known who Fergie would turn out to be, I'd probably have viewed them differently! ;)

Haha yeah. The only 'choice' would be if you have 2 teams in your city and your parents etc have no influence.

I'm a Dundee United supporter myself. English team is Reading. I've worked with a guy who runs their community program for the last 2 summers. Plus Noel Hunt went from Dundee Utd to Reading a few years back. My mate is also the Reading mascot and was the England mascot at the Brazil game!

True. My team's rivals are Dundee FC. Their ground is 120 yards up the road on the other side. I could see their stadium from my old seat!

Not really been able to get into MLS properly yet. There doesn't seem to be any reasoning behind when games are played so I have no idea when they're on. With games back in the UK I know there's Sat lunchtime, 3pm, some evening kick offs and the usual Sunday's. With the MLS they're on different days and times with no rhyme or reason to either.

Yep, I'll be cheering on my fellow Scottish team Celtic. Won't be surprised if they pull of a win tonight.

And I remember first seeing that video, thought it was hilarious!

I hope Celtic wins as well.
I'd love to see them go deep into the tournament.

My Scottish team is hearts....tough season.

What I don't get is why soccer players (the women obviously) look so much hotter on the pitch than they do outside of the pitch?

For a few case in points.

hope-solo-300.jpg

vs

solo13n-1-web.jpg

9AF29455E3E54A4A95BB623553A37D25.ashx

vs

CPressHermannAward_000.jpg

There are 2 exceptions to this rule of course, because no matter where they go Kelley O'Hara and Alex Morgan are always hot.

An important and encouraging note for US soccer is the fact that MLS has only recently taken and been financially capable of taking youth development seriously. The U-18 and below setups are fairly adequate and as ScotBrew references the Philly Union they outline how their development system works online. Where MLS is lacking is in U20 and U23 teams. Generally speaking everywhere in the world 20-21 year olds aren't fit for full time service with senior sides. This hole is what makes the recent MLS-USL Pro partnership announcement so enticing and such a HUGE potential step forward in US soccer player development as it takes a first legitimate concrete step toward addressing this issue. The agreement allows MLS clubs to affiliate with and swap players down to a USL Pro side or run a full on USL Pro team or schedule USL Pro teams as part of it's PDL schedule.

Again using the Union as an example young Zach Pfeffer (sp?) a very promising US player in the Union organization is loaned out to Europe this year in order to get him more playing time as the current PDL-Reserve League schedule is only about 10 games, FAR FAR too few for proper player development. I've got tons more to say on the issue as I place a lot of value on it and believe because there is SO much room for growth in the player development arena of US Soccer that the US still has another fairly large step forward it not only can, but will make on the international soccer stage within the next 12-20 years.

A final word, I'm really cheering for TFC's big investment (huge player development investments/academy) pays off big time for them as it will pressure others to follow suit. Additionally LA Galaxy are currently producing prodigious youth soccer talent with scouts saying that in the past 2 MLS drafts that last year Villareal would have been the #1 draft pick and this year's homegrown player signing Zardes would have probably been evaluated as #1 also by many scouts. On that note I wish MLS would tweak homegrown player salary rules to keep them 'off the books' a fair bit longer to further incentivize team to develop talent.

What? There's an MLS insider on here? Awesome!

Being in the soccer (and beer) wastelands of the southeast (MS) what are the odds that the 'soccer insider' is connected to a team I follow. Yet he is! Being 9.5+ hours each way away from my nearest MLS club (Houston whom I just couldn't get attached to) when I decided to follow/back MLS I decided I'd follow one original team and one expansion team from each conference. Thus I chose Chicago, Philly, LA, & Seattle. Not sure exactly how I chose those but those choices were fairly easy, paring it down from there however would be a challenge. Notice I didn't call myself a fan of any of those teams, just a backer or someone whom pulls for them. I keep up with all 4 teams as best I can and watch any MLS game of interest. Always enjoyed watching NYRB under Backe as there were always goals being scored, by them and against their D. Plus there was always drama. Did I mention I hate Timber-Joey! He's gonna have an accident with that chainsaw, it's inevitable!

Btw my b-day gift is gonna be a MLS-Live subscription. I purchased it 2 years ago, and won last years subscription by finishing top 50 in MLS fantasy league play, alas this year my fantasy team stunk so bad I quit playing them! Back to purchasing... :mad: but hey it supports the domestic league and that's all good!:ban:

Like you've mentioned above, the Zach Pfeffer thing REALLY got me interested. As a youth soccer coach for the past 7 years, the youth side of the game always catches my interest. How/why clubs do things different from other clubs etc etc. Anyway, when I say this deal, going to a 2nd division German club, I found it incredibly strange. It was only when I looked into it further, like you say, that he'd hardly have any games here.

I think the MLS needs another expansion team to round up the number and to lower the number of play off teams(IMHO there should only be 4 in the play offs, its FAR too large) and then they really need to concentrate on the structure/youths. Every league should mirror the rest, and they should work in partnership with each other. With proper reserve/youth leagues for the MLS teams also. They could have their reserve teams within this structure also like they do in the Spanish leagues but I think this is what the USL Pro thing is (I've not had the chance to properly look at how it's gonna work)

I agree with the salary cap thing regarding the homegrown players. What is it now? I'm not too sure? I'd probably go with the suggestion that they don't count if they're U23 or something similar. This would mean that the club could bring them through and if they're a proper talent at 22 but don't fit into their salary cap/structure, they could trade/sell/release the player but they've at least got some proper development behind them.

Btw, I would never consider myself as a 'soccer insider'!!! I'm just lucky enough to be involved in the game on a daily basis as my job, and I consider myself very lucky to be on the field coaching players that will hopefully follow their dreams to making it pro.

How about the news Friday from Robbie Rogers? Hope he gets life put together, finds some peace and returns to MLS. If not I wish him well.

How about the news Friday from Robbie Rogers? Hope he gets life put together, finds some peace and returns to MLS. If not I wish him well.

I guess it is a matter of perspective, but it seems to me that his life is together and he has been "at peace" for some time now.

I think he has decided to retire.

It's official! Landy Cakes returns in the last week of March!

Plus I just picked up a new laptop for working out of town. Looks like it's time to sign up for MLS Live again.

MVKTR2 said:
Plus there was always drama. Did I mention I hate Timber-Joey! He's gonna have an accident with that chainsaw, it's inevitable!

They said Timber Jim was crazy 40 years ago for showing up on the stadium with a chainsaw. With decades of mascot time between Jim and Joey, your "inevitable" looks to be on the same timeline as the Sounders MLS Cup.

You do realize the traveling chain saw has no chain on it right? The other remains stuck in a log until needed. Last game we finally got some use out of it.

Joker said:
You do realize the traveling chain saw has no chain on it right? The other remains stuck in a log until needed. Last game we finally got some use out of it.

I know that, but I don't think that the other dude does.

Got my Thorns season tickets today. Very good deal for 11 games.

I wouldn't mind catching a game or two but no way I have the time to make it to that many more soccer games.

Currently the line up for the Timbers is looking very strong. I am excited to see what this season will bring us. Going to the game tonight to see how many time Kenny Cooper flops while playing against the Timbers.

Did anyone get to watch that Liverpool v. Zenit game yesterday?
Man, what a game, I really thought they were going to do it.
Looks like its time for Carragher to hang up his boots.

Just because you have a testimonial doesn't mean you should retire though. Carra is very underrated IMHO. Didn't have a great game but he's actually been pretty decent from what I've seen this season.

I wouldn't mind catching a game or two but no way I have the time to make it to that many more soccer games.

Currently the line up for the Timbers is looking very strong. I am excited to see what this season will bring us. Going to the game tonight to see how many time Kenny Cooper flops while playing against the Timbers.

I know there will be a couple games that I wont be able to make it to. I'll keep you in mind and let you know if I have tickets available for them.

Just because you have a testimonial doesn't mean you should retire though. Carra is very underrated IMHO. Didn't have a great game but he's actually been pretty decent from what I've seen this season.

I didn't say he was overrated.
I also didn't say just because he had a testimonial match meant he had to retire, I only mentioned it to note how long he has been playing.
I just think they have better options at CB.
Although all of them seem to suck at passing back to the keeper.

Latest posts

Back