Fermenter krausen came out of carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjmc

Reaction score
Brewed a honey porter a few days ago and everything was going as good as expected until I came home from work tonight and the krausen was coming out of my bubbler? It's an extract recipe with 6 pounds of lme and 2 pounds of honey. I pitched with a yeast starter. I replaced the bubbler with an extra one I have after sanitizing but I wonder if the beer will be ok? It's in a 6.5 gallon carboy and has I little more than 5 gallons of wort in it. Will it be ok?

Happens to the best of us. RDWHAHB. Invest in a blow off tube. I use one for all my primary and a bubbler for any secondary.

Just happened to me but I had to replace the airlock 5 times before setting up the blow off tube! Beer taste great! It will be fine. Happens to all of us.

Whew! Thanks! I have brewed several and this only happened when I made a double ipa.

Whew! Thanks! I have brewed several and this only happened when I made a double ipa.

This tends to happen more with higher gravity beers and proper pitching rates. Next time use a blow off tube with recipe until after the kraeusen dies down and then put on the airlock.

Also make sure you can control the fermentation temperature if possible (keeping <70 F during first few days) as this will also help control the kraeusen volcano!

Congratulations! You have a vigorous ferment - that is a good thing. Keep the temperature within specs and enjoy the show.

I had the pleasure of walking in on my Trappist ale primary with the lid on the other side of the room! I brewed a vicious Grand Cru tonight with white labs Belgian 400. 30 minutes in the primary and it's bubbling like crazy. estimated OG 1.054. I got 1.062 with 6lbs dme and 2lbs honey. My God it's volatile. BTW the Trappist is fine.

Yeah. That just happened to me this morning with a RIS with a 1.10 OG. Thought a 6.5 gal would be big enough for a 5 gal batch. Just put a blow off tube on and cleaned up.

Latest posts

Back