Vet my extract recipe attempt please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I don't know about is the grains. As far as I know they are not grains that you steep (but I haven't done extract in years). I don't think it will hurt, but it might not help. Other than that, it looks good. Maybe consider a mini mash in a pot on the stove?

-Wally

The all grain recipe is really just a standard Bavarian wheat with a half pound of crystal. You just need about 6.6 lbs of wheat extract plus the half pound of CaraMunich. I know it says Sterling for the hop addition but any noble hop should do.

I would be interested to find out how it comes out.

I tried to replicate this beer several times, and used cultured yeast from the bottle; failed to come anywhere near close and eventually gave up.

The only thing I don't know about is the grains. As far as I know they are not grains that you steep (but I haven't done extract in years). I don't think it will hurt, but it might not help. Other than that, it looks good. Maybe consider a mini mash in a pot on the stove?

-Wally

Ya that's how I plan on doing it. That's how I've done my last two extracts: I steep about a pound of grains I guess to give it at least some genuine grain taste. It's not hard just requires 1-2 gallons of water, which is very doable with my 5 gal pot.

The all grain recipe is really just a standard Bavarian wheat with a half pound of crystal. You just need about 6.6 lbs of wheat extract plus the half pound of CaraMunich. I know it says Sterling for the hop addition but any noble hop should do.

Do you have any idea why my recipe comes out with more ibu's even though I didn't change the hops?

I would be interested to find out how it comes out.

I tried to replicate this beer several times, and used cultured yeast from the bottle; failed to come anywhere near close and eventually gave up.

That's pretty cool. I'd like to try something like that. Did it at least come out drinkable?

Unfortunately I don't see this attempt being any closer. For starters, Sierra lists Munich in the grain bill, not CaraMunich. Big difference. CaraMuich is a crystal malt, Munich isn't.

Since you mentioned yeast, I remember another thread on the subject about a year ago. This beer is all about the unique yeast that is used. If culturing from the bottle doesn't yield the results I don't see being able to clone it.

To the OP: Sierra has 3 grains listed for this beer - 2-row, Munich and Wheat. My best guess in extract terms:

6 lbs Wheat LME
1 lb Munich LME

You can use DME, just shoot for a 1.050 O.G.

Wyeast 3068/WLP 300 is probably about as close as you're going to get yeast wise.

Do you have any idea why my recipe comes out with more ibu's even though I didn't change the hops?

Your recipe has a lower O.G. 1.052 vs. 1.063.

Your looking for 15 IBU's. About .75-1.0 oz ounce of any noble hop at about 5% AA should get you in the ballpark. Adjust accordingly if the AA is different.

Back