Excellent Attenuation with WLP565 - What to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
I was a little wary of using this strain with all of the reports of it under-attenuating and taking up to 4 weeks or more to finish out. I didn't want to wait this long so I was taking a chance on using this strain.

I made a 2L starter, pitched the tube and let it go on the stirplate for 24 hours. There was tons of visual activity, something I don't usually get in starters. Brewed a 1.048 saison mashed @148 for 90 minutes the next day and pitched the decanted starter while it was still active. All fermentation was at an ambient temp of about 76 degrees so it was probably 81 or more inside the bucket. 48 Hours later I added 10oz of table sugar dissolved in a syrup. 5 days after pitching the gravity is at 1.005 and the gravity sample tastes awesome already: its dry, fruity and crisp. I can only imagine how it will taste once its had some more time and is nice and carbonated in the keg.

Given this wasn't a high gravity brew I still think mashing low and long, the big starter and the delayed feeding of sugar can all be used in combination to get this strain to perform a little better, even with a bigger wort.

Given this wasn't a high gravity brew I still think mashing low and long, the big starter and the delayed feeding of sugar can all be used in combination to get this strain to perform a little better, even with a bigger wort.

Yea, it seems like a combination of doing everything right paid off!
Good on ya.

This is a zombie thread, but thought I'd add to it for someone who may use it. I just did almost this exact same thing as the OP.
8 gallons of 1.050, mashed 70 minutes at a range of 145-150, didn't stir good enough halfway through. Pitched a 2L starter (1.050) @73, that ramped up to 77f. Activity started hard within 2-3 hours and main ferment finished within 24-36 hours down to 1.010. I added 1.5 lbs of turbinado which finished out in 12 hours. At day three it measures 1.009. I'm hoping to get to 1.005 and have it at 80 and 90f (two fermenters of 4G each).

WLP565 is supposed to be the same as Wyeast 3724, Dupont strains. Just like the OP I was a little worried and read a lot about it, but it has acted more aggressive and faster than any other yeast I've ever used.

i am wyeast guy so i used 3724 in the past and yes it does produce excellent saison but when i did split batch (3711 vs 3724), had to go through troubles of 90F fermentation for dupont and 3711 still gave me flavor i like better, im sticking to 3711 strain from then

Back