no kraeusen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatria

Reaction score
I just pitched the yeast into a Double Chocolate Stout recipe I got from my local store, and the yeast was definitely mega-active (looked like a bubble fountain), but there really wasn't any noticeable Kraeusen developing on top.

The yeast has settled down, and still no Kraeusen.

This recipe called for a multi-ingredient mash with all sorts of grains and stuff. THe last similar brew i made to this was an Oatmeal stout, which had a HUGE head.

thoughts?

How long has it been since you pitched? If it's a particularly big beer it can take a long time before it takes off. Last week I pitched a quart of yeast slurry into wort that was 1.079 and it took about 48 hours before I saw any activity at all.

So what I'm saying is relax don't worry etc. etc.

eatria said:
right on. i definitely saw the activity, i'm just wondering why no big frothy head.

There are so many possible explanations including the individual yeast, but if your gravity isn't 30 points lower after a week then something is truly wrong.

For example if you started at 1.050, four days later 1.030 would be reasonable.

In short, don't worry. Leave it alone, except to check your gravity every few days.

Latest posts

Back