Still stuck after re-pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blone

Reaction score
Hey guys, I Started a 5 gal "Caribbean Stout" extract/steeping grain brew from a local HB shop recipe. Followed the directions exactly. Jan 8th it was put into primary, and pitched with Safale S-04 as well as a packet of Nottingham yeast per the brew shop employees recommendation. According to the OG in the recipe, it should be at 1.065, but I completely forgot to take the og of course :(. The second day the krausen filled the rest of the head space on the 6.5 gal carboy, almost going into the blow off tube, then died down. On Jan. 25th I checked the gravity and it was at 1.030, So I moved it to a slightly warmer spot, and roused the yeast by swirling the carboy. I checked it again on the 28th, still at 1.030. So I called up the brew shop and explained what was going on, so he said I should pitch another packet of Nottingham, which I did on the 28th. Left the beer alone until today Feb. 04 when I decided to check the gravity... and guess what? Still stuck at 1.030.

The temps have been well within range at about 70-72 degrees. I don't get it. Any other recommendations? It doesn't seem to want to budge at this point. Do I just bottle it anyway? Toss it out? The beer itself tastes and smells great so far, so I'd hate to have to get rid of it. Thanks.

Give us the recipe, was it extract or all grain? Mash temps? Also, one thing to check, is your hydrometer calibrated correctly?

It is an extract recipe. Hydrometer is calibrated correctly as well. Here is the recipe:

Malt Extract:
9 lbs pale liquid

Grain Bill:
8oz British chocolate malt
6oz Roasted barley
6oz British crystal 135L
6oz Belgian Special B

Hop schedule:
.05oz Summit 18.0% 60 min
.04oz Willamette 0 min

Yeast:
Safale S-04
Nottingham

Brew shop guy said the FG should be 1.016 - 1.020

I assume the pale was Liquid extract. If it was DME, you would have had a much higher OG.

For 5 gallons I estimate you should have been around 1.070. The LME will give you 324 points, and the grains about 25 = 350 in 5 gallons = 70 points per gallon. If it were DME, the OG would have been about 1.088.

Both S-05 and Notty are good yeasts, and should get you down somewhere in the region of 1.014 to 1.018. It ain't done.

What type of extract (make). You might want to do a google search to see how fermentable it is. They are usually about 75%, but some specialty extracts are a lot lower. Someone is going to chime in and say it's because you are using extract, but I don't believe that bull; I use a lot of extract and always get great attenuation.

Temps would have been my best guess, with 3 packs of good yeast, I can't think of anything else. Take the temperature of the wort. If it's above the low 60s, then that is not the problem. Actually you should be OK at 60F with those yeasts. Floors are cooler than air temperature, and wort takes on the temperature of the floor. But with a temp of 72, I don't think this is your problem.

I assume the pale was Liquid extract. If it was DME, you would have had a much higher OG.

For 5 gallons I estimate you should have been around 1.070. The LME will give you 324 points, and the grains about 25 = 350 in 5 gallons = 70 points per gallon. If it were DME, the OG would have been about 1.088.

Both S-05 and Notty are good yeasts, and should get you down somewhere in the region of 1.014 to 1.018. It ain't done.

What type of extract (make). You might want to do a google search to see how fermentable it is. They are usually about 75%, but some specialty extracts are a lot lower. Someone is going to chime in and say it's because you are using extract, but I don't believe that bull; I use a lot of extract and always get great attenuation.

Temps would have been my best guess, with 3 packs of good yeast, I can't think of anything else. Take the temperature of the wort. If it's above the low 60s, then that is not the problem. Actually you should be OK at 60F with those yeasts. Floors are cooler than air temperature, and wort takes on the temperature of the floor. But with a temp of 72, I don't think this is your problem.

It is a pale LME, Sorry, I fixed it in the recipe. The make of the extract was alexanders. Wort is at 68-70 currently.

I checked my hydrometer again , and it reads at about 1.002 in about 69 degree tap water, so given the correction, its really at 1.004.

I had luck with a stucky after transfering to secondary. Probably because it roused the yeast. Try that if nothing else, but don't drain it. Bottle it up after the appropriate time, drink that shiz and see how it tastes! Then start formulating your own recipes and get your process down. Don't be scared. Just do it.

Checked gravity today, still stuck at 1.030. Guess I'm just gonna have to transfer to a secondary, or just bottle it and hope I don't get any bottle bombs. The beer tastes too good to dump.

Back