True Brew Stout Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewerx

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I've spent the last month on here just reading and learning, brewed a Extract American Pilsner, and now decided to try another extract: the True Brew Irish Stout.
The first recipe went very well; easy directions, no snags anywhere. But, I've got two questions for today...

I was reading the directions in the kit and the second bullet point reads like this:

TrueBrew said:
"Place 1-1 1/2 gallons water in the brewpot, and bring to a boil."

2l9mpds.jpg

Okay, well how much is 1-1 1/2 gallons?

Second thing I wanted to ask is if there is anyone who's done this recipe before, can you please chime in with anything I can do to make things easier or (more importantly) make the beer taste better?

Thanks!

Once I jumped off city water and went to bottled my beer tastes improved a bunch. I am only on my 12th batch so still learning. That made the biggest difference for me.

Um, 64 to 96 oz of water. Or one to one and a half gallons of water.

That's what I was thinking, but why the 1/2 gallon difference? Just because the wort will be diluted once it his the fermenter anyway?

Once I jumped off city water and went to bottled my beer tastes improved a bunch. I am only on my 12th batch so still learning. That made the biggest difference for me.

Good call! The last brew I did, I used spring water as well. I still have a week in bottles before I taste it though.

Thanks!

I did a True Brew Imperial Stout a year ago, all I can say is that the more you let it age the better. Mine didn't mellow for several months. Once it did though...yum.

I made this recipe once, and I added oak chips soaked in whiskey to the secondary - but I was going more for an "oaked stout" vs a traditional stout. If you are interested in doing this, it turned out excellent.

Just for the record, a gallon is 128 oz.

What it means is, the amount of steeping water is not critical. At the end of the process, as you fill the fermenter, top it off to 5 gallons and pitch.

When i use those kits i boil with a gallon and a half and put three and half gallons in the carboy. When the boil is done i add the wort to the water, pitch, and forget. By adding the wort to the room temp water, it usually gets me at about 80 degrees. Ive been buying gallon jugs of spring water, makes it super easy.

Back