Brewing or University??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
I started on a university degree recently and it's really cutting into my brewing schedule and activities .All that studying and homework:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:,well ,I'm in need of some advise from fellow AGBs .An education or Beer?I have to choose,or should i just suck it up and get both done somehow,eh?

A little humour and homebrew would be great right about now ,I'm sick of textbooks already!!!

btw I'm not serious about quitting school because it cuts into my brewing time,I'm just blowing off a little steam,so to speak,,,,

later cheers
colin

dont go to medical school, then. I just finished my last test of my second year, yesterday. I barely have time to do laundry but I seem to find time to brew every couple of weeks, also beer is great for person on a busy schedule because its so malleable that you can just forget about if for a couple weeks.
-Jefe-

School!!

Brewing is fun and can be done at night, in the morning, during the day, or after a final exam. Since brewing and school are both cyclical things anyway, they can complement each other nicely.

That said, I am almost done with school, and started it over 10 years ago. I hate it with the fury of 10000 suns, but I do intend to finish it.

IMHO, having a college degree will improve your chances of getting a job than not having one. Knowing how to brew alone might improve your chances of getting a job vs. someone who doesn't know how to brew, assuming all other things are equal. A college grad vs. a non-college grad homebrewer will usually end in the graduate getting the job than the brewer.

A college grad that is a brewer vs. a college grad... definitely a conversation starter and a leg-up on the competition!

Why don't you unbunch your panties and suck it up! ^_^ What're you studying anyway? Actually, it doesn't matter. I've been doing it for the last 3 years of my college career and it has never been a nuisance. Hell, I even read/study during the mash or boil.

Plus.... why would you ever give up school just to homebrew? It's not like you're making money from it. A degree is oh-so-important if you ever hope to make something of yourself (unless you're the lucky few)

Why don't you unbunch your panties and suck it up! ^_^ What're you studying anyway? Actually, it doesn't matter. I've been doing it for the last 3 years of my college career and it has never been a nuisance. Hell, I even read/study during the mash or boil.

Plus.... why would you ever give up school just to homebrew? It's not like you're making money from it. A degree is oh-so-important if you ever hope to make something of yourself (unless you're the lucky few)

dude ,don't get your panties in a knot,i was just joking about school vs brewing ,my afternoon of studying was gettin a little boring ,so I was just lookin to have a little fun with it ,that's all.

thanks for all the replys btw,keep it fun ,,,

cheers cw

Patience young padawan.

Balance in all things.

Too busy? Put on a couple of BrewHouse kits. Keg instead of bottle. Schools out in two months.

Take a 15 minute break from studying and dream dreamy thoughts of the Witt's and Saisons you'll whip up in the summer.

Rudeboy

Definitely school, I would imagine brewing is harder without a job.

I am just finishing up my last semester of college, and have found that i dont have a lot of time for brewing during the semester. I am on spring break now, and have done 4 AG batches in the last two weeks. I will be able to find the time to keg and bottle them, but time for a full AG brew day is rare while school is in session.

Brewing less is a sacrifice, but Im sure that you will find time if its important. I once scrubbed bottles at from 12-3am so i could bottle the next day.

College is all about time management. The better you are at it, the more brewing you can do.

Definitely focus on studies. That being said, if you can time everything right you can do both. I brew almost once a week at school.

Thank God I didn't know anything about homebrewing when I was in college, or I would have been in some serious trouble;). SWMBO would tell you that I was trouble anyway.

I know you were just having fun with the question, but..............gotta find a way to get school done. Plenty of people have found success without it, and my hat's off to them. But since you've already started, why not see it through. You won't regret it. You'll have the rest of your life to make that sweet nectar we call beer.

If you had to make a choice (which I don't think you do) I would say chose school over brewing. I'm sure that you will find a way to balance all of your activities. Stay in school. You'll regret it if you don't.

School.

But brew with timing in mind. Like take one weekend off and brew four batches - two each day. If you're still in college you'll have enough energy to brew two batches a day and still party at night. :p But plan them so that they'll reach their prime at different times, so that you can have a new brew to drink every few weeks. Or brew a big beer that will be ready to drink just as finals are finishing ... there's always a way to sneak a brew session in.

Thank God I didn't know anything about homebrewing when I was in college, or I would have been in some serious trouble;). SWMBO would tell you that I was trouble anyway.

I know you were just having fun with the question, but..............gotta find a way to get school done. Plenty of people have found success without it, and my hat's off to them. But since you've already started, why not see it through. You won't regret it. You'll have the rest of your life to make that sweet nectar we call beer.

thanks for the advise benny, I fully agree with all u just said ,you're right I was just funnin around here.

tks cw

Do both. I am working, going to school, and brewing. Though I only get to brew once or twice a month. I just can't wait to graduate next fall, so I will have more time. It can be done. You may just need to cut back on brewing.

School.

But brew with timing in mind. Like take one weekend off and brew four batches - two each day. If you're still in college you'll have enough energy to brew two batches a day and still party at night. :p But plan them so that they'll reach their prime at different times, so that you can have a new brew to drink every few weeks. Or brew a big beer that will be ready to drink just as finals are finishing ... there's always a way to sneak a brew session in.

Ooooh! I like that idea! Well, it's great for keeping the pipeline going; but if it's the actual brewing process you really enjoy, that plan might not work out so well. Oh decisions.... :)

You can do both. I often do readings during the mash and boil. It does mean I drink coffee instead of homebrew while brewing, but my efficiency is usually a little higher.

I brew fairly often, 3 or so times a month and haven't felt a drop in my marks. We'll see when work kicks in...

Here's what I did/am doing... brew during school, graduate, get a job and keep brewing, realize you don't like this industry, brew some more, apply for MS in Food Science with fermentation science focus....brew some more.

I started brewing when I was going to university. I only found the time to get 3 batches in over the course of a semester. I made up for that by brewing 10 weekends in a row when the semester ended and summer break started :D

Hy not homebrew for school? Me, I worked nights at kroger, did phone interviews for political groups ( sorry if I ever called), and was a night security. How how I wish I would have made money from homebrew....legally. But no, I made low money and drank nothing but McCormics, keystone, mad dog 20/20, and on rich nights when we had a little more money Coors. Oh those were fancy nights!

My 0.02 - short term pain, long term gain. Get the best education and then the best job you can. Best job does not necessarily mean highest paying, but (for me) a comfortable work/life balance. You will have the rest of your life to brew (or attend to any other hobby), and your education/job will foot the bill.

Back