Have I messed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Hi

My first ever brew is currently on the go. It started well and then stalled so I stirred it a bit to try and get the yeast going again. Its since come back to life and has been fermenting again, slowly.

Because I've been worried about it I've been checking it almost daily, putting the hydrometer into the beer (cleaned beforehand). However, after reading some of the posts on this site, I'm now worried that I've been exposing it too much to the environment and may have contaminated it in some way. There is still some yeast/bubbles etc on the surface, which don't seem to be in a hurry to go away, even though I think it should be nearly done. I also tasted some earlier and it didn't taste too great!

Its currently been brewing for 7 days.

Any advice welcome.

You're probably fine, but nest time just LEAVE IT ALONE! I know it's hard! I know you want to poke and prod and test it, but you have to break yourself of the urge.

You're not going to help anything and you may very well make it worse

You don't need to woory about checking it so often. If there is visible active fermentation, just leave it be.

How long was it going before it stalled and what is the starting gravity? It may have just been naturally slowing down as there are less fermentables in the beer. Give it at least the full week before doing anything. Another wouldn't hurt.

It's probably fine as long as you were careful about sanitation, but in the future just brew it, pitch, and leave it alone. I typically wait a full 7 days before I even think about opening up the fermenter.

All the hydrometer readings in the world won't make the yeast work any faster and there is no reason to risk contamination.

Thanks

OG was 1043 or so and it stalled at approx 1020. Its now down to approx 1018 - instructions said it should end up at 1014. I'll leave it for another few days. Will all the surface gunk sink when it's done?

I've had some brews bubble up for three straight days, and some totally finished within 24 hours....and they were all good.

Back