Premier malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the LHBS today. They have 3 or 4 flavors. $9 a can. I did not buy any.

I just had "beer" made for the Premier recipe. It wasn't bad but the guy only fermented for 4 days before bottling. Maybe thats what the recipe says? I got to tell you at 9:30am it did give me a buzz. He bought a case of Premier in Greenleaf Kansas for about $90 When factors in sugar it is about .22 a bottle.
I was supprised that it did not have the winey character of some of the other "country beers" I have had around there. With a better method it could turn out to be a nice beer.

Anyone got any update info on their experiences with Premier? I brewed a 3.4 gal batch of 2 cans of Premier w .5 oz Mt Hood @ 15 min and .5 oz Mt Hood @ 2 min that I pitched onto an S-04 yeast cake and is now secondarying in a Corny. I plan on gassing the keg Sunday night and tasting Thursday or Friday of next week. I expect it to be a little green, but will report my experience then.

I found this site while looking for a source for Premier Malt. I used to brew A LOT of home brew with Premier Malt extract.
This was MY grandfathers recipe:

I can of premier malt extract
5 lbs of sugar.

Boil can o extract w 1 gal of water for 10 mins
add 4 gallons of cold water and sugar
toss in yeast packet and cover.

When I was in college I made this stuff all of the time. I would have at least 6 cases of this stuff at any given time. We called it the beer of death because there were few who could drink a six of this stuff and still be standing. The most I ever did at once was 10 and only one of my friends was ever able to drink a 12 pack in one night. At the time we would each drink a case of the beast or busch in a night.

I am not saying this was quality brew but it wasn't bad, especially compared to the Beast.

If anyone knows of a place between Naples and Tampa Florida that carries this stuff please let me know. I have gotten a little nostalgic and would like to brew up a batch of the old liver bomb.

My email [email protected]

TIA
Storm

Stormrider, I was down in Tampa just last week. I wish i had known you needed some. I could have brought some down with me.

Try all the Mom and Pop grocery stores in your area. Usually the major stores don't carry it as much.

My last batch was a chocolate that I added some cocoa powder to and it turned out awesome.

I think I've just about exhausted all the uses of Premier that I can think of.

I've made Orange with Cloves, Raspberry, Orange, Vanilla, Strawberry (one of my best), Chocolate, Cinnamon, Almond, all different types of Tea, Licorice, and many different kinds of plain Premier with different fermentables, such as Molasses, Golden Eagle syrup, and Plow Boy syrup. Also used honey in different quantities.

I tried Crystal light flavorings with good results also.

As I said....I think I've about exhausted all the possibilities for this malt.

It's time to get serious and go all-grain.

My favorite was a strawberry ale that I made.
I used one can Premier Light, 6 cups table sugar ( no, I never have gotten "cider " taste from table sugar). I let this ferment in primary for 2 weeks and then siphoned to secondary. I then used 2 pounds of frozen strawberries that I thawed out and mashed with a hand potato masher. I put this in a bag made from cheesecloth that was soaked in Starsan and installed in the secondary. Every day I would open the secondary and push the bag down in the beer to keep it wet and in the beer. After 2 weeks in secondary, I removed the bag of strawberries (or rather what was left of the strawberries) and siphoned beer to my bottling bucket and bottled. This was by far my best tasting beer and I have made well over 300 gallons with Premier.
Note: After putting the strawberries in the secondary, be ready for another krausen and fermentation.

Sound like you are the PREMIER KING , all hail and bow down!!!!!if you have the time could you please post your recipes for all of us wanting, Just Dying!!!!! to try Premier ,. We all will soon be buying more fermenters lol

Lol, no, not the King, I just use it cause it's readily available 1/4 mile from my house and it's only about $4.95 a can...it only takes about an hour to make a batch and if it doesn't turn out for some reason, it's not a great loss as far as time and expense.

I started using it when I first started brewing to get my procedure and sanitizing down pat before going on to bigger and better things. But the results have been pretty good and all by buddies like it as well as I do so I've just stuck with it.

My basic recipe is nothing more than 1 can extract, 6 or 7 cups of sugar (I try for 1.048-1.050 OG), top off to 5 gals and let ferment for at least 3 weeks. Then I add flavorings in the bottling bucket at bottling time.
I even added some Quaker Oatmeal to the boil one time and it turned out nice. Added a slight nutty flavor and had a good head and smooth mouthfeel.

The easiest is pure fruit extracts, such as raspberry, vanilla, strawberry, almond,etc. It should be the pure extract and not imitation extract. But only use an once in the bottling bucket or add to your taste.

I've even used different tea by brewing the tea and adding my primer sugar to that and then putting it in the bottling bucket.

All have been very decent beer, not award winning by any means, but better than any BMC that you can find.

I'm at the stage now that I'm getting bored with it, since my sanitizing procedures are like second instinct, and want to go all-grain for the challenge and the ability to control my ingredients better.
I'll still keep a batch of Premier handy at all times though.

Just experiment with it and have fun. It's really hard to ruin a batch.

Makes a refreshing lager yields 5 gallons
Ingredients
2 cans 2.2lb/1kg Premier Hopped Light Malt Extract
1 lb Corn Sugar
1 1/2 oz Finishing Hops (e.g. Hallertauer, Tettenanger, Saaz)
1 pkg Lager Yeast

1. Mix the contents of the Premier cans, the corn sugar and 1 gallon of boiling water in the primary fermenter
2. Make the volume of the wort up to 4 gallons with cold water and add the finishing hops. Stir well.

3. Check the temperature before adding the yeast.

4. Ferment and bottle as usual.

Hope you all enjoy.

Which grocery stores sell this stuff? I've not seen it at Publix, Winn Dixie, or Wally World. What aisle is it typically found on? Thanks

Yeah, I have the same question as the post above. Where in the stores is it found? and also what does the can look like?

Which grocery stores sell this stuff? I've not seen it at Publix, Winn Dixie, or Wally World. What aisle is it typically found on? Thanks

In my excitement, I made this post before even reading the whole thread. I guess those three stores wouldn't carry it in the first place. Unfortunately, there are no mom & pop stores in my area. Has anybody found this stuff near the Space Coast, FL?

I called Premier and the lady on the phone was kind and as helpful as she could be. She didn't know of any place in my direct area that sold it. She did suggest Piggly Wiggly and Food Lion so I suppose I will just see which city has the closest store and call up. Then I need to convince SWMBO that we need a roadtrip. lol

The can is yellow and red with a white lid. You can generally find it in the aisle were they sell the karo syrup or baking supplies. They do not keep it near the alcohol. Or it could be in a specialty foods aisle.

I am also wondering if anyone in Memphis has found this. It sounds like it would make a great lawnmower beer.

I always see this sitting at the hardware store. I've been tempted, but never actually picked up. I was afraid I wouldn't be happy w/ the results of the pre-hopped stuff. However, since I'm low on stuff ready to drink now, and since the hardware store is within walking distance.... I'm on my way.

I went to my LHBS and picked up a can and corn sugar. I'll see how it comes out. I'm not expected much so I won't be disappointed.

I believe that there is a store front in Independence MO called E.C. Kraus. They can help you out.

I went to my LHBS and picked up a can and corn sugar. I'll see how it comes out. I'm not expected much so I won't be disappointed.

If you brew it according to the directions or to whatever brewing knowledge you have...I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. It's not very hoppy and slightly malty, but that's how I like my beer.

Let ferment for 2 weeks and then bottle. Let bottle condition for at least 3 weeks.

Don't know. I've never kegged. It would be much easier, I'm sure. Shouldn't affect the taste at all.

When my wife and I were on food stamps some 35 years ago, we found some of this malt in the local grocery store and decided to give it a try because we could buy it with the stamps. First couple of batches didn't come out very good because we weren't letting it age long enough. We gave some to a friend and he'd hung on to it for about 6mos. He asked if I wanted to have it back cause he wasn't going to drink it.Man !!!...It was good stuff. Don't be afraid to give it a try. Let it age and don't expect it to taste like store bought beer. I like it better, myself. I used the directions on the can. Give it a try. It doesn't cost all that much and will give you some idea of how beer is made, it you've never tried before. I used the light/hopped.

Just bought a new fermenter and the rest of the needed gear to give it another go again. I'm sure I'll like/enjoy doing this home spun art......Bob
P.S. Tobacco growing is next...LOL:mug:

I just sent another email to the company for a Southern California distributor location. I am hoping to get a response this time.

I am very interested in making this beer. This may have been the beer my father made in the 60s in our basement in Wisconsin. The same stuff I used to sample when I got home from school when nobody was home.

NOTHING IN SO-CAL.

They are looking for a distributor so if you know of someone that owns a beer supply store and they might be interested have them contact:

Vicki Kohn
Customer Service Mgr.

See below;

Thank you for your interest in Premier Malt Products. I do not have a supplier in the area mentioned. You can order our product from a company that does mail order. The company is Homebrew Headquarters located in Richardson TX. The phone number is 1-800-966-4144. You can also go to their website at Homebrew Headquarters. Our product is not listed because they carry our line as a speciality item. You can order it by the case.

Just for your information, if you know of a homebrew store or hardware that would be interesting in purchasing our product to put on their shelves they can get in touch with me and we can work something out. This way you would be able to buy it locally.

I hope this helps you out.

Happy Brewing,

Vicki Kohn
Customer Service Mgr.
[email protected]

NOTHING IN SO-CAL.

They are looking for a distributor so if you know of someone that owns a beer supply store and they might be interested have them contact:

Vicki Kohn
Customer Service Mgr.

See below;

Thank you for your interest in Premier Malt Products. I do not have a supplier in the area mentioned. You can order our product from a company that does mail order. The company is Homebrew Headquarters located in Richardson TX. The phone number is 1-800-966-4144. You can also go to their website at Homebrew Headquarters. Our product is not listed because they carry our line as a speciality item. You can order it by the case.

Just for your information, if you know of a homebrew store or hardware that would be interesting in purchasing our product to put on their shelves they can get in touch with me and we can work something out. This way you would be able to buy it locally.

I hope this helps you out.

Happy Brewing,

Vicki Kohn
Customer Service Mgr.
[email protected]

forwarding this to the LHBS I frequent. thanks :)
May have to order from HH too.. I can store a case of malt :)

My batch came out really bad. I'm thinking of pouring it out. It's in my keezer right now. Should I pull it out and let it age a while? I used bottled water. It is just so bitter. I even added a teaspoon of corn suger to a glass. Maybe the malt was way too old and it's light brown as most extract brews I've done. I followed the instructions. I used 1 can of malt and 2.5 lbs of corn sugar with the supplied Nottingham yeast. It was in primary 4 weeks room temperature, 1 week at 34 to clear and kegged. Disappointed.

give it a month or so and see what happens. I made a 3.3(ish) gal batch of 2 cans of Premier and 1oz Mt Hood boiled for 5 min using wal-mart 'drinking' water and S-04 yeast. 2 weeks in the carboy, 2 weeks in the keg @ room temp, then gas and chill in the fridge. It took another month in the fridge before the overwhelming bitterness mellowed. It was darker/redder than the irish red ale kit I had brewed right before it. Wound up being a very tasty brew with a roasted malt flavor and a crisp/dry finish more like a lager than an ale.

how did you know the yeast was Notty? The only yeast packs I've seen with mine were generic silver foil pouches labeled 'beer yeast'.

OK I'll let it sit. It was a Notty yeast pack. The same pack you buy in the store.

I searched this thread before posting but didn't see anything related, so here goes: has anybody tried making a version of Brandon O's Graff with PME? I recently found the little Foodland grocery right down the road has been carrying this stuff all along, and I've been driving past it to go to my LHBS. So I'm thinking of trying something along the lines of boiling a can of PME in a gallon of water, and adding it to 4 gals of apple juice in a carboy. Thoughts/suggestions? Should I add any sugar/DME?

I just made a batch (my first) using the can and 2 lbs of turbinado sugar from maui. It is a beautiful red color and is really tasty for a flat beer. All my friends tried it and they thought it was great. I made a 4.5 gallon batch and it is now carbonating in the bottle. I can't wait till it's done.

I'm really anxious to try it. I'm in that store all the time and I can't believe I've never noticed it on the shelf before. They have a bunch of cans so hopefully it's not a short-term thing. Right now I'm trying to wait for cooler weather because I really don't have a good way to keep a 5-gallon carboy cool. I suppose I could make up a batch and divide it out into gallon jugs to ferment, but that's just more handling and more chance for infection. But if the itch gets too strong I may risk it. The PME is $5 a can and Wal-Mart apple juice is $1.97 a gallon, so it's not like I'm betting the farm on a batch of homebrew. Just wondered if anybody else had tried using it for a Graff before.

JCobbs,
Where is the Foodland you speak of? I've been driving to Cullman, AL to the Warehouse Discount Grocery to get Premier.
By the way, with regard to outcome, I've made one batch using only 1 can of Premier (with no extra sugar) and some washed Notty yeast in a 8.5 qt. Mr. Beer fermenter. It came out pretty good. A light lawnmower beer, but the price was definitely right. My next batch was using a recipe from this thread, including 1 can Premier plus 1 large jar of Golden Eagle syrup in a 5 gal batch. This was WAY too weak (O.G. ~1.028), ABV ~2.1%. Though weak, I think just more of the same ingredients will give a tasty result. I'll post when I do that experiment.
Cheers!

Hi everyone, this is my 1st post. I'm fairly new to the hobby, with only about 10 batches of extract (with our without steeped grains).
This is a great site with lots of incredibly helpful people!

I've made 2 batches with Premier. First was just 1 can premier with Nottingham yeast in a 8.5 qt. fermenter. Taste was pretty light, but not a bad lawnmower beverage with about 3.9% ABV. The second batch I made, I used a recipe found in this thread, which was 1 can premier + 1 large jar of Golden Eagle Syrup, also with Nottingham yeast in 5 gal. This was very weak (ABV 2.1%), but I think if I double or triple the ingredients, it may be a reasonably tasty drink. That will be my next experiment and should conform to the rule of thumb I've heard suggesting 5-7.5 pounds of malt extract per 5- gal batch.
JCobbs, where is the Foodland you mentioned? I've been driving to the Warehouse Discount Grocery in Cullman to get the Premier and would really like to find it closer to home.

Cheers!
Frogger

how about this insanity that is now bubbling madly away in my 6.5 gal carboy?
5 gal premier arrogant bastard clone:
4 cans of premier hopped light extract
1 lb 120l crystal malt
8 oz light brown sugar
1 oz chinook pellets @ 15 min
1 oz chinook pellets @ 1 min
1 packet safale s-04
bring 1 gal water to 160f, add crystal malt, let sit for 1 hr
pour through strainer into boil pot (mine is currently 4 gal)
gently rinse grains w 1 gal 180f water.
add premier extract, brown sugar, and water to a safe boiling level
boil 20 min adding hops accordingly
chill to 80-90f. i use an ice water in sink method.
transfer to carboy and fill to 5 gal w fridge temp water (i use bottled drinking water).
seal the carboy, wait a few hours for it to cool some more and pitch the yeast, install airlock.
this stuff is screaming along and the smells coming from the airlock are awesome!

You HAVE to keep us in the loop on that crazy beer. I have to know how this one comes out. Kudos for giving it a try, no matter how it comes out.

Back