I kinda messed up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormtracker

Reaction score
Silly me. Im brewing another Strong Dark Belgian.

Anyways I got everything layed out and for whatever reason Im into the batch sparge process and realize.. Hey that isnt very dark.

I forgot the caramunich.

Do you think it will be ok to get my finished product into my carboy and tomorrow morning run up to the home brew shop buy a pound of caramunich and batch sparge just the pound of caramunich with maybe 1/2 gal. of water and add it to the carboy after the fact?

I dont know why I cant but Im still a Noob somewhat and i wanted to run it by here before I did it..

Thank you for any help :)

Why not make it a Tripel or Golden Strong? Just as delicious in my book. And...theres always time to brew another Belgian beer.

yeah, i'd just say screw it. it'll be fine...perhaps better than you expected. what was your recipe, anyway?

Roughly same recipe you and I have been working on from our post awhile back.
Man I love that Ardennes yeast you recommended. I use it exclusively for my dark and the Trappist for my Tripple.

oh, nice! i haven't brewed that yet! been brewing light beers, haven't really had time for a strong belgian.

as for the beer, i think you're looking at a nice crisp triple now...if it's pretty close to the original recipe. you'll lose a little sweetness and only a tiny bit of color, no big deal really.

that yeast is wonderful. i finished a belgian pale recently that was FANTASTIC. I've also used it in random recipes like my Blood Ale to "belgianize" some beers and they always turn out great :D

i've been meaning to use the "step-up" method for making a strong belgian. basically brew it all-grain, then add some malt extract at the end of fermentation to jump-start it and add alcohol, then add the sugar even later. i'm doing a brew-in at my LHBS with my club, so maybe i'll try our recipe then...I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers!
:mug:

i've been meaning to use the "step-up" method for making a strong belgian. basically brew it all-grain, then add some malt extract at the end of fermentation to jump-start it and add alcohol, then add the sugar even later. !
:mug:

Is this what people mean when they say "feed candi sugar into the primary at different stages of the fermentation"?

When doing so should the candi be boiled just in case?

Do you think it will be ok to get my finished product into my carboy and tomorrow morning run up to the home brew shop buy a pound of caramunich and batch sparge just the pound of caramunich with maybe 1/2 gal. of water and add it to the carboy after the fact?

You can do it, but you need to be very careful about oxidation if you have already pitched your yeast and fermentation has begun.

TL

Is this what people mean when they say "feed candi sugar into the primary at different stages of the fermentation"?

When doing so should the candi be boiled just in case?

my plan is to make 4.5 gallons of an all grain batch.

boil 0.5 gallons with my ~2 lbs of extract a week later and add that.

boil 0.5 gallons with my ~2 lbs of sugar another week later and add that.

5.5 gallon batch. no stuck fermentation :rockin:

I have found that if you step ferment, oxidation is not an issue. My guess is that the 02 gets carried out with the C02.

For that matter you could mash your remaining grain and add that to the fermenting beer. Headspace is a concern if you don't have enough room to allow for enough new wort to allow the grains to get any decent efficiency.

i have a friend who shakes up his beer repeatedly over the first couple of weeks and his beer comes out great. the yeast just eat that o2 up. as long as you have some fermentation occuring, i don't think oxidation is a problem.

it's something we should be aware of, but i think in most cases people are overly concerned about it.

Back