injecting pork butts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheiry18

Reaction score
I'm going to be smoking 2 7lb pork butts and i want to try injecting one to compare if it makes a noticeable difference. Does anybody have a good recipe that they prefer to use?

Good lord, where do I start???

I use miller lite as a base and add cayenne, paprika, FRESH garlic (crushed) salt and pepper.

Basically, whatever you are rubbing it with will work, but you need to strain it to keep the injector from getting gunked up.

Steep it the night before and strain through a coffee strainer.

i was thinking about using my rub as As an injection but good call with making a tea out of it. ill probably give that a shot and even mix in a little apple juice or beer and butter

My pliny clone definitely isn't going in it. I use miller for my fried Turkeys so ill stick with that. Have you noticed a reasonable difference when injecting?

Absolutely!....well.....in Turkey.

If you are making "pulled pork" it all gets mixed up and I can't honestly say, but I like to think it makes it moister.

+1 to juice. using bmc for cooking isnt the best route to go. its the same concept as for drinking. sugars react really well with the fats in pork. Apple juice with various spices has to be one of the most popular methods. I know a guy that uses mead, smoke salt, bay leaves and some other various spices as a brine.

I'd say keep it simple with the injection (apple juice, mead or cider with a couple spices), and then get a nice brown sugar dry rub going with spices of your choice to make a delicious pork bark on the outside and hold the juices in.

here's the two beauties
ForumRunner_20130525_195956.jpg

I just bought a smoker, this is now a fave thread. Those look delicious.

Lived in the south 10 years, injecting poultry, definitely, but most didn't inject the pork. Apple cider, any herbs or spices you want. Also, to be totally awesome, melted butter.

my 2 cents:

I'd just rub and slap those babies on the smoker. I have tried brining but it was too much hassle for the little extra. Also fat side up and DON'T TOUCH until they are 195.

I immediately throw mine in the fridge and pull later. It locks the juices in with the meat. Later when you warm it, they are moist & delicious!!!

best butts Ive smoked yet. I used my usual brown sugar, cayenne and usual suspects of seasonings the night before. Right before they went in i tried a new idea and covered the top ( fat side up.. hope I'm not starting a riot here ;-) ) with an extra round of just brown sugar. These are by far the crispiest, perfectly balanced butt I've ever had

my 2 cents:

I'd just rub and slap those babies on the smoker. I have tried brining but it was too much hassle for the little extra. Also fat side up and DON'T TOUCH until they are 195.

I immediately throw mine in the fridge and pull later. It locks the juices in with the meat. Later when you warm it, they are moist & delicious!!!

X2 I have never been a fan of poeing a bunch of holes in meat. There is considerable debate among foodies as to if it adds moisture, or allows more moisture to escape.

I will inject sometimes. Probably half the time to be honest. I do it depending on my mood but I do a 2/1 mix of apple juice and jack Daniels. I let it sit overnight and smoke on oak and apple until 205. But then again when I inject I also smoke it until 175 and then wrap the remainder. I will just rub if I am not going to wrap or want to just set and forget for hours. Both make great eating if done right.

Nice looking Butts!
IMO I would not inject. The key is to finding a shoulder with a adequate fat cap. Butchers take off too much fat these days. I use copious amounts of rub the night before. Use a vinegar based mop sauce goes on every hour or so after the first hour. I've always used Hickory with light amount of apple wood. Cook fat side UP to internal of 190-200 deg. Wrap it in foil and let it set in fridge for as long as you can wait or overnight. I start the pit at 300-325f and after 30 min damp it down to 250f.

Back