Game of Thrones Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That mix above looks absolutely amazing

Thanks! Got about a gallon and a half of must left. Not sure if I should use it to make a second GOT mead, or have a go at some JAOM. Since I'm brand new to brewing, making JAOM seems appropriate.

But thinking ahead, I'd like to have an apple melomel that I can serve hot this fall for harvest season. The possibilities are endless. I'm already addicted.

Excellent, thanks greenman. I know of a few sources for the dragonfruit for sure. I think I'll check out some asian markets in town for the kiwano tomorrow. If nothing else, the magenta hue of that mead looks very enticing.

Perhaps for a Dragons Brew you could make a capsicum mead with some Thai Dragon chiles, Fireweed honey for a slight caramel flavor and some sort of a bitter fruit to balance the sweetness.. not sure which though.

After the first night, I went to my carboy and found the airlock dry. I'm hoping that it was not dry too long. The OG was 1.111 @ 71 degrees. The final recipe was:
13# blackberry honey
1 qt frozen blackberries
1 qt frozen huckleberries
2 cut up frozen star fruit
1 oz homegrown Newport hops
1 pt lingonberry concentrate
3 gallons of water
1 tsp yeast energizer

The hops and frozen ingredients were brought to boiling for 15 minutes then cooled before adding.
I debated about adding more honey and water but I like shade of red that I had at the start. So here's where I'm at, hoping for this batch to turn out well.

image-2633317919.jpg

Last Friday at the Mazer Cup mixer, I had the opportunity to sample some 30 or so meads, and one - a capsimel - was a really nice balance between heat and sweet. So here is what I am going to make for this...

"Calisi's Capsimel"

4 gallon batch

10 lbs honey (will source all or part of this from Colorado if I can)
10 serrano peppers (also sourced here or neighboring New Mexico)
5 passion fruit (Daenerys Targaryen - Calisi - exudes passion!)
2 qts raspberries to add sweetness and color

OG should be somewhere around 1.12, FG around 1.020, around 11 or 12% of sweet hot goodness, just like Emilia Clarke!

Ok, I'm new to this, but I'll play! I'm going to rack my (very first) five gallon batch into 3/1/1 gallon secondaries, and the singles I'm going to monkey around with.
I'll name one of the singles "YGRITTE" after the red-headed wildling that was captured by Jon Snow and then outsmarted him. She's a red-head, spicy and kinda gritty, thus my recipe: Serrano peppers in a longish secondary with oak chips added 7-10 days before bottling. I will do some surfing on the amount and timing of additives, and I'm open to any suggestions. I do know from making spicy jams that the capsaicin in peppers is cancelled out by large amounts of sugar, but to what extent that effect will carry over I have no idea. In the end I'll probably just guess. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!! The other single is a 4 berry mix, but I can't think of a character to match it with. Maybe "Joffrey."

I acquired 5kg of wildflower honey from a local source. The stuff tastes amazing! Light and floral can really picture the type of wine this would make. Sooo different from the clover I was using. I'm going to start with a traditional mead and see where it leads me. Aiming for the FG to be around 1.015. Might turn it into a melomel with some pear or apricot at secondary.

This mead is for the ladies -Daenerys, Arya, Sansa, Momma Stark! They could all use a drink:)

I'm not doing my previous recipe anymore as new inspiration has struck.

The Cheese-monger's Reserve
3# Orange blossom honey
3 lbs grapes
2 lbs pears
.5 oz bourbon soaked oak chips, medium toast.
Pasteur red yeast

The grapes and pears will be juiced, and only going to use the juice.

This sounds Awesome!

Really interested in this. Trying to figure out an assassin style mead for arya and jaqen though

How about something like ... "The Two Faced God" or "Whisper a Name"

I think a mead from the north would be nice and spicy full of cloves and cinnamon. You know something kind of like mulled wine.

I might call one from the north "Honey Snow", "Dire Mead"

Another cool name might be "The Returned" "Five Kings" or maybe "The rusted mail"

Wouldn't Lemons be a better citrus for Dornish Meads? Since they are known for using lemons with most of their recipes?

this is what I decided on. 10 pounds of locally sourced raw honey, six jumbo jalapeno peppers, three pounds of dates. I think that the dates would be grown along the south west coastal area of Essos, perhaps the peppers further inland where it is more arid. Honey, well, the bees are pretty much everywhere...

Edit: Smell of hot peppers and honey dates is intoxicating, and the yeasties have not yet begun to do their thing. OG 1.104.

mead for got.jpg

Im being boring and have a Joam on from the 1st and just put on a joes quick grape. I have dragonfruit coming next week but what to make that could be drinkable in time.
Was thinking a joes quick grape using white welsh's grape juice and add the dragon fruit as secondary?

Okay guys, just completed my brew.

To recap, this is "Dragon Horn Melomel"

-Dragonfruit
-Horn Melon
-15 lbs. clover honey
-Distilled water
-Frozen Raspberries
-Blueberry Fruit Juice
-WYeast 4184 - Sweet Mead

The fruit was all frozen prior to being used.

OG = 1.105 (unadjusted, @72 degrees)

Looks amazing. Glad to see someone took my idea from the other thread and ran with it. I hope it turns out amazing.

I plan on making a dragon fruit mead at some point. Money being an issue right now I have thrown it on the back burner. When it does get made it will be either a pure dragon fruit melomel or a dragon fruit/passion fruit combo.
I was also going to use either tupelo or meadowfoam honey.

Looks amazing. Glad to see someone took my idea from the other thread and ran with it. I hope it turns out amazing.

I plan on making a dragon fruit mead at some point. Money being an issue right now I have thrown it on the back burner. When it does get made it will be either a pure dragon fruit melomel or a dragon fruit/passion fruit combo.
I was also going to use either tupelo or meadowfoam honey.

It sounds like a great idea but I'm having issues with mine. I used a WYeast Accelerator Pack, which swelled within an hour, so I'm thinking the yeast was healthy. But for some reason there was never a vigorous fermentation period within 72 hours, and it's only bubbling once every 25 seconds or so. I'm thinking the pH might be an issue, but I don't have any strips or anything to test with. Any idea what else could be causing this?

It sounds like a great idea but I'm having issues with mine. I used a WYeast Accelerator Pack, which swelled within an hour, so I'm thinking the yeast was healthy. But for some reason there was never a vigorous fermentation period within 72 hours, and it's only bubbling once every 25 seconds or so. I'm thinking the pH might be an issue, but I don't have any strips or anything to test with. Any idea what else could be causing this?

Feed it nutrients.

CityOChampBrew said:
Feed it nutrients.

And when you feed it, do it in a sink or tub. Did this for the first time recently, and it generated a -LOT- of foam very quickly, and well, that area tug needed washing anyway.

I should be off to the local dragon fruit farm/orchard(whatever you call it) tonight. See how much they are willing to give in return for some finished product. I was thinking of adding rewarewa honey.
Is the dragon fruit to subtle to do a straight batch. I see the recipe above has raspberries/blueberry etc as well but I was just afraid they might overpower it.
Do you think it would go ok trying a batch of JOAM with 2 to 4 instead of orange as well. Maybe add some more when fermentation stops to give a boost in flavour?

And when you feed it, do it in a sink or tub. Did this for the first time recently, and it generated a -LOT- of foam very quickly, and well, that area tug needed washing anyway.

Did you add the nutrients dry, or dissolve them first? There will be much less foam if dissolved first.

I should be off to the local dragon fruit farm/orchard(whatever you call it) tonight. See how much they are willing to give in return for some finished product. I was thinking of adding rewarewa honey.
Is the dragon fruit to subtle to do a straight batch. I see the recipe above has raspberries/blueberry etc as well but I was just afraid they might overpower it.
Do you think it would go ok trying a batch of JOAM with 2 to 4 instead of orange as well. Maybe add some more when fermentation stops to give a boost in flavour?

I don't think the dragon fruit and the cloves would meld the way cloves and oranges do.
I do think that dragon fruit would need to be added in secondary to retain their flavor.

MarshmallowBlue said:
Did you add the nutrients dry, or dissolve them first? There will be much less foam if dissolved first.

Dissolve first, eh? Cool. The guy at the LHBS says toss these in there, so I did. He may have assumed I'd know to do that. Not. I'll try that next time. Thanx!!

Happy Game of Thrones Day!!! So excited to watch! My hubby and I picked up a bottle of b.nektars wildberry pyment a few weeks ago while driving through Michigan. Gonna try it tonight!!

I like their wildberry pyment. Unfortunately for me i wont watch the premier until tomorrow. Walking Dead season ender for me. :fro:

I like their wildberry pyment. Unfortunately for me i wont watch the premier until tomorrow. Walking Dead season ender for me. :fro:

I love how the Governor has completely changed over the coarse of the season, However the season finale had more of an episode before a season finale kind of vibe.

Just took a gravity reading of mine after only 11 days, it is down to 1.024, already at 10.5% ABV. The smell is of hot peppers. The taste, really nice earthy fig/date sweet mingled with green pepper and only a hint of hotness in the back of the throat after, that then lingers on the back of the tongue. I really like it, and as the yeasties work through the sugars it should get hotter.

I brewed, The Cheesemonger's Reserve yesterday!

Blue’s Perry Pyment
3 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
20 oz Green Grapes
3 medium size Bartlett Pears
.5 oz Medium Toast Oak Chips
Red Star Montrachet

Chop up the pears and de-vine the grapes. Run the fruit through a food processor. Pour the fruit juice goop into a large fine strainer over a pot. Squeeze the fruit pulp to get all that juice out. I ended up with over 2 cups of juice. Eat the shreds or throw them out. Combine honey water and dissolve with a whisk. Add the juice and top up with water 1 gallon. Pitch yeast with ½ Tsp of yeast nutrient. Ill add the other half during the 1/3 break.

Starting Gravity is 1.086 (it’s likely higher than this as the bottom of the carboy was darker than the top and I didn’t realize it needed more mixing until after I poured the Hydrometer sample, and I wasn’t going to do it again.

I’ll add the oak when fermentation is wrapped up along with some more grapes. Who likes pictures!?

IMG_1627_zps1ef1d40d.jpg

IMG_1628_zps932541ae.jpg

IMG_1629_zpsac0ad07e.jpg

IMG_1631_zps413985a1.jpg

I've been giving this Game of Thrones mead idea a lot of thought. Unfortunately I have a very limited brewing setup right now so it will take me forever to get through any of this stuff, but I have a basic plan lined up. I took a lot of inspiration from suggestions in this thread (particularly on the Lannister mead) but here's what I'm planning.

Winterfell/Starks - spiced cinnamon cyser with caramelized honey
Warm and inviting like the hospitality of the North. Imagine coming into a warm house after being out in the blustery cold and snow and getting a hot cup of it.

Casterly Rock/Lannister - Cherry vanilla melomel with 24k gold flakes
Heavy on the cherry so it's nice and deep red. 24k gold flakes a la Goldschlager for the classic red & gold Lannister color combo.

Eyrie/Arryn - strawberry melon melomel with mint
The Eyrie is high up on a mountaintop, with pretty consistent chilly winds. I wanted to represent that with an ultimately light, sweet and refreshing mead.

The Wall/Night's Watch - blackberry and black currant melomel racked over oak chips
Blackberry and black currant for obvious reasons :p

I'm totally stumped on Iron Islands/Greyjoy... a seaweed melomel with rocks and salt. yum.

The folks from the Iron Island pay the iron price- plunder your reserves and make a total mishmash maybe?

That's an idea I've been thinking about. Something like kraken's plunder mead, with an ingredient from each of the seven kingdoms. It would represent that they just steal everything they have from everyone else. Either that or you could make a fish flavored mead but I'm not sure how that would be received.:drunk:

The Iron Islands and its people are kind of based off of the Viking right? Well having spent a lot of time in Scandinavia the home of the vikings I can tell you that they really really like to drink things with the flavor of Anis (is kind of like a black licorice) which can taste similar to Jagermeister

yup, the salt doesn't evaporate with the water. I wonder if any oceany essence would be carried over though =/. It was originally a joke, but now I'm thinking about it.

Back