Simple labels are better.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorGodOfThunder

Reaction score
I don't really like the idea of full-color, throw everything at the canvas labels that seem to dominate the market, so I made these. I don't like to glue things to my bottles because I hate cleaning the sticky gunk off, so I punch a hole in these and hang them on the neck of the bottle with some coarse twine.

When I prep them for printing I erase everything except the black parts and print them on brown paper shopping bags. I cut them to the correct page size and it looks really neat when I'm done (and I get to recycle paper bags, which is kind of cool).

I only have two drinks in the pipeline, so I haven't finished the 3rd label, obviously.

(edit: these are much larger than I expected; my apologies.)

ScreenShot2012-11-14at91734PM.png

ScreenShot2012-11-14at91717PM.png

ScreenShot2012-11-14at91746PM.png

That sir, is an awesome idea. I'd love to have a pile of labels I could hang from the neck of the bottle, on a little chain. Like the ones you can buy for the stem of wine glasses

ThorGod can you please explain the process of printing on paper bags? What kind of printer are you using. Nice, simple, clean designs.

ThorGod can you please explain the process of printing on paper bags? What kind of printer are you using. Nice, simple, clean designs.

It was really simple.

I keep paper bags I get groceries in (just in case I need a bag, and I feel bad tossing them out), so I just cut one open with a pair of scissors until it was completely flat. I put it on my paper cutter and cut it to 8.5x11". At that point just put it in your printer and go. I have a basic HP printer, nothing fancy.

This is a test print of an early draft. Some things aren't legible, but it was in the early phase of testing it out. I haven't bottled anything since I designed these so I don't have any better pics.

photocwu.jpg

It was really simple.

I keep paper bags I get groceries in (just in case I need a bag, and I feel bad tossing them out), so I just cut one open with a pair of scissors until it was completely flat. I put it on my paper cutter and cut it to 8.5x11". At that point just put it in your printer and go. I have a basic HP printer, nothing fancy.

This is a test print of an early draft. Some things aren't legible, but it was in the early phase of testing it out. I haven't bottled anything since I designed these so I don't have any better pics.

photocwu.jpg

These are great. Are you creating your own graphics with photoshop or similar? And where are you sourcing the clipart (such as the bee, crown, etc.) if you don't mind my asking? Again, really cool work, any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

That is a great idea with the tags, looks like a good idea when gifting.

You made life so much easier today......... I am going to get 250 business cards printed up for my labels for $10 with a bag of rubber bands. Thank you for the great idea.

Cider Label #1.jpg

These are great. Are you creating your own graphics with photoshop or similar? And where are you sourcing the clipart (such as the bee, crown, etc.) if you don't mind my asking? Again, really cool work, any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

I use photoshop to draw almost everything. Everything is vector (infinite scalability) except the background, which is just for testing purposes anyway, that gets removed before printing.

Most of the time I google what I am looking for (ie 'crown') and gather several examples then piece together what I like and trace it with the pen tool.

Its mostly basic shapes, so its really easy to slap one together.

Good idea, Firemouse. I didn't think about getting them printed on business cards. That would save a lot of time!

I used vistaprint for the cards. It took just a few minutes. The only reason I did business card was because my wife had her business cards sitting right next to the computer. I designed a simple picture with text with a phone pic of my antelope on the wall. Your idea started the ball rolling and I was done in about 20 minutes. Now I just have to be patient and wait for shipping. They will arrive just in time for making Christmas presents.

Ah, sir, I agree so much! My entire label design philosophy is that of the old German Bauhaus, clean, modern, simple. I don't mind the sticky stuff, nor a bit of plain color, so there are what I recently came up with. Prost!

22bc_Concept_label_alt.jpg

22bc_Concept_label_marzen.jpg

I did a few labels on label paper (the whole sheet of 8.5 x 11 is a big sticky back label). I am thinking of going to Office Depot or Staples and seeing if I can get them to print using my label paper at their copier center because it really goes through ink like nobody's business though.

8403755162_21aa94dd34_c.jpg

8402663819_9f17384653_c.jpg

I am thinking of going to Office Depot or Staples and seeing if I can get them to print using my label paper at their copier center because it really goes through ink like nobody's business though.

I posted this in another thread awhile back, but I've never had any issues taking in my own paper and printing at Kinko's. I've done this at 3 locations and have had someone help me at 2 of them (nothing mentioned at the 3rd). I would try it with a single sheet to make sure they print as you expect. You may have to make some changes to the printer settings since the sheets are a little thicker than standard paper (we've printed on 80 lb. cardstock and had to make some adjustments. Otherwise, colors didn't always line up and there were streaks of ink).

This was my first attempt at a label. I too go for the simpler things

image-3589396515.jpg

Back