2 diff. vials of yeast...starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote

Reaction score
preparing to brew a version of Striking Gold Belgian Strong Ale that calls for two different yeasts (WLP570 and WLP 500) with a target OG of 1.077

with two complete (but different) vials of yeast, would a starter be necessary?

btw...I'm planning on brewing a similar version as soon as this one leaves the primary, using that yeast cake. too much yeast?

Thanks!

I've combined strains before, but never two whole WL vials. I don't see why it would be an issue to make a starter with both strains though.

As for pitching on the yeast cake - it will be fine. I do this fromm time to time. I'd recommend that you attach a blowoff tube when you pitch on an existing cake. I've used the same cake as may as 4 times and not had an issue other than explosive fermentation.

appreciate the reply, ohiobrewtus.

when pitching on the yeast cake, did you do anything to clear out the previous trub?

brewed that up yesterday and had an OG of 1.076. pitched the vials @ 78°F at 3:30 PM and this morning (5:30 AM) it was bubbling away!

Thanks again for the help/encouragement!

this is only my second batch.

Back