Bottom Drain Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I am planning out a new build similar to the Morebeer 1050. I am converting a fermenter keg to a mash tun. I am contemplating a bottom drain with 2" Triclover fittings. My first issue is it seems like everyone is out of 2" x 1/2" npt connections and I can't seem to find 2" 90 degree elbows. I guess my question really is, Is a bottom drain worth the issues of rigging it up? I'm pretty handy when it comes to DIY however I think the Triclovers would be the way to go. I'd like to hear some opinions and experiences.

Brent

I went bottom drain on my mash tun and now I'm considering rebuilding my HLT and BK with bottom drain as well. Cleaning is a snap and no worries of losing siphon. I didn't do 2" triclover, just the normal 1/2". The only downfall is when pumping, the vortex from draining too fast can cause air to get sucked down causing the pump to lose prime. Think of the vortex in the bathtub when it's draining. Just slow down the pumping if needed. I can only imagine this would be compounded with 2" fittings. Though, if you are 2", you probably aren't pumping anyways.

I am doing something similar with my boil kettle (going to cut it open today!!), my first comment is why 1/2 in?, i understand most people run 1/2 in but why not 3/4, or do the rest of the reduction in pipe thread?

1/2" is adequate for 10 gallon batches
March 809 is 1/2" so unless I want to spend $$$ on a pump with bigger ports, then it is the bottleneck anyways.
1/2" is cheaper

What would you need 3/4 for? To pump your strike water faster? As it is, that is the only place in my system where I'd benefit from bigger pipe/fitting/hose diameter... Doesn't seem worth it to me.

KLG used to list 2" triclover X 1/2" adapters. Maybe they have an alternate 2" triclover adapter you can use.

KLG

I drilled a 1/2" in a 2" tri-clover cap (jmesanitary.com, $4), tap'ed it (irwin 1905, $10), then screwed in a 90 degree elbow (bargainfittings.com, $6). Works great.

i'll post a pic tonight when i get home. Also you can get stainless (316L) pipe for cheap on amazon, i think i used a 6" and got it for $6.

I forgot to put in my false bottom (made from the bottom of the keg that was cut out) and no grains got stuck in the contraption, it sucked it all right out. The hose barbs were another story though : )

Here's the drain port/assembly for my upside down keg -> MLT. I was mistaken earlier, it's an 8" SS pipe from Amazon, approx $7.

mashtundrain.JPG

Back