Who can spot the new toy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wired247

Reaction score
In the middle of a hop field in Yakima WA. Serious
beer1g.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out your plumbing :D but I'll guess you got a new RIMS tube hanging from your MLT...

Cheers! ;)

The HLT feeds a plate heat exchanger . I can get the HLT as hot as I want it and the PID controller cycles the pump on and off. Keeps the temp out the heat exchanger to 2-3 over set and heats the MLT up fast.

That thing hanging off the MLT isnt a RIMS tube but it is the new toy.

http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html

Trub filter from Derrin. But you are using it as a filter mechanism for grist that escapes the false bottom in your MLT?

The HLT feeds a plate heat exchanger . I can get the HLT as hot as I want it and the PID controller cycles the pump on and off. Keeps the temp out the heat exchanger to 2-3 over set and heats the MLT up fast.

That thing hanging off the MLT isnt a RIMS tube but it is the new toy.

http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html

LOL! The first few times I traced the plumbing I was sure that plate chiller was your heat exchanger, but...To be honest, I picked the thing that shined the brightest, figuring that would be the newest bit in the pic ;)

Never heard of using a filter on a MLT like that - does that mean your lauter system has been clogging your plate chiller?

btw, do you airmail the wort to your BK? I still can't see any plumbing going there...

Cheers!

LOL! The first few times I traced the plumbing I was sure that plate chiller was your heat exchanger, but...To be honest, I picked the thing that shined the brightest, figuring that would be the newest bit in the pic ;)

Never heard of using a filter on a MLT like that - does that mean your lauter system has been clogging your plate chiller?

btw, do you airmail the wort to your BK? I still can't see any plumbing going there...

Cheers!

maybe his hlt doubles as a BK?

Cheers!

The filter is really there to prevent plugging the heat exchanger and spiral diffuser I'm using for the vorlauf/sparge . I bought it to use in the boil kettle but it will fill both roles nicely. The recirc pump never shuts off while I'm brewing.

When I'm ready to transfer I'll just close some valves and swap the HLT hose from the heat exchanger to the vorlauf line to sparge and then hook the line that was going to vorlauf to the kettle.

vornn.jpg

Back