What's the best way to make links?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh_Jass

Reaction score
Like the title says, is there an easy/best way to take sausage stuffed in casing and make links out of them? I've been peeking around youtube for a bit and haven't come up with a good method.

Made 8# of bratwurst today and had the damnedest time turning the casing into links.

Any help, tips, suggestions would be appreciated :mug:

i thought you just left a thin spot every-so-often and then twisted the whole casing.

Natural or collagen casing?

Natural.

I *kinda* got the links together. At the time it seemed like I was trying to count to potato.:eek:

Any suggestions or tips to make the process easier would be welcome.

you pinch both sides (every other link) and twist, switching what direction you twist it each time you do it. hopefully that makes sense.

Here is what I do, I push everything out, not stuffing them too tight. Once I have the whole casing done I will twist every other link. See my very crude text picture below. 1 is the first one i twist, just pinch and twist the brat inbetween, move to the next (2) and pinch where show on the picture and twist in the same direction as the first. When I am pinching I usually start with the brat being an inch or 2 longer than I want the final product, because when you twist the brat will become tighter and shorter.
=1=1=2=2=3=3

Please note, best brat recipe I have found so far is Witts, honorable mention (but completely different style) is Leggs, both can be bought for around $3 for 25lbs

Back