Help with chocolate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebilacx

Reaction score
My local brewery offers a chocolate stout around the christmas season and it is very chocolaty (not just the roasted barley flavor). Here is their description of it from their website:

Here's a holiday seasonal brew that all our brewers collaberated on. First, [we] provided a killer one-of-a-kind stout recipe that we all liked. Then, [we] took the lead as we took a serious look at chocolate. Our goal was to bring the flavors of stout and chocolate together in as complimentary a way as possible without one overpowering the other. [We] brewed up the stout and we infused it with freshly-made chocolate on the way to the taps. What ended up in your glass is something rich and satisfying - a perfect beer to pair with your year end celebrations.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows how to add chocolate to a stout and have it actually taste like a blend of beer and chocolate and not just a hint of chocolate and/or roasted barley like in say a Young's double chocolate stout.

I was thinking about trying to add chocolate flavor to the secondary but I'm not sure how to add it or if it will give the desired chocolate flavor.

Any help in this area will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

I know exactly what you are saying. A local brew pub here has a chocolate stout that is very chocolaty. Hershey syrup chocolaty. Very good!

I brewed an AHS double chocolate stout. Came with 1oz cocoa. I added a second oz of 100% cacao Hershey's dark cocoa to the boil. I even added a couple of oz's of Creme de Cacao liqueur to the secondary. I got a nice beer with a rich espresso like flavor but only a hint of chocolate. The trub and yeast in the carboy looked like chocolate pudding. Probably where all my cocoa powder went.:(

I'm thinking about adding some chocolate extract to the secondary but I'm not sure how potent/bitter and non sweet the extract will be. I was also thinking about back sweetening with some lactose but I have no experience in either of these so I'm not sure how it will turn out.

I am not versed in recipe creation but with a few searches on HBT I think you'll find some recipes that you can explore.

B

Back