Visit to Ribe Bryghus in Denmark - Photos!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The most cool beer-related part of our recent visit to Denmark and Sweden was in Ribe, Denmark. Ribe is a small village in southwest Denmark and is the oldest still existing village from the Viking Age, established as a trading post in 700 AD. It is tiny, picturesque and was a great place to spend six days.

We enjoyed some locally made beer there, brewed by Ribe Bryghus, while eating in a restaurant. The next day, my son saw a guy pedaling a delivery bike, delivering cases of the beer! He stopped the guy and asked where the brewery was, could we visit, etc. The guy invited us to join them the next day when they would be bottling another batch.

Hugh_Ribe_Bryghus_3.jpg

This my son and one of the three guys who run Ribe Byrghus. That machine is how they fill the bottles. Then they cap each bottle individually with a table capper. Each bottle then goes into a pastuerizer and then is labeled by hand.

Hugh_Ribe_Bryghus_2.jpg

That is the pastuerizer in the background. These guys were homebrewers and began this brewery, which they described as a hobby brewery, in a picturesque little courtyard space in Ribe, about two blocks from the village center.

Hugh_Ribe_Bryghus_1.jpg

All three of them have other jobs, the brewery is only open when they are working, and they deliver only to nearby restaurants and pubs. They only bottle, no kegs.

You can see their website at www.ribebryghus.dk If you use chrome as your browser, you can ask it to translate the site into English.

I enjoyed all their beers, especially a Belgian-esque blond, a brown ale, and a "Jubilee" beer they brewed to celebrate an anniversary. The jubilee had juniper and chamomile in it, very tasty.

The following pictures were all taken at midnight, without flash, to let you know how much sunlight they enjoy during the summer!

Ribe_at_midnight.jpg

This is Ribe's main street.

Ribe_Cathedral.jpg

This is Ribe Cathedral.

Weissstubbe_in_Ribe_at_midnight.jpg

And this is where we stayed - the guest rooms on the second floor. The four open windows are our rooms. The inn dates from the 15th century.

Hope you enjoy this little beer-related report from our travels this summer. Skaal!

Pffft. And the Brits got their stuff from the Romans. ;)

Let's also not forget that some believe even the Scottish kilt was based on a Viking skirted war garment called the Kjalt.

Looks like it was a nice trip! My family hails back to Norway and I've always wanted to go out there. Maybe when my son is old enough to enjoy the trip (He's almost seven months old, so there's time).

Pffft. And the Brits got their stuff from the Romans. ;)

Let's also not forget that some believe even the Scottish kilt was based on a Viking skirted war garment called the Kjalt.

Looks like it was a nice trip! My family hails back to Norway and I've always wanted to go out there. Maybe when my son is old enough to enjoy the trip (He's almost seven months old, so there's time).

Jet, the best part of the trip was being there with my sons (18 and 16). The travel writer Rick Steves says that travel is "life intensified" - 5+ weeks spent together traveling with my sons was an opportunity I will probably not have again, and it was great.

That looks like one of those places you visit and don't want to leave. Nice trip!

Here are some more photos that you might find interesting (I didn't take them, you can tell because they're good):

14_700_18858.jpg

ale1.jpg

forside.gif

bryggerh_231265d.jpg

Ribe_Bryghus.jpg

53_IMG_7332_Large_.jpg

I can't find a copy of a pic of their delivery bike, which is very fun. Maybe later . . . .

That's awesome. Denmark sure has a great love for beer. I'm glad you visited them, because I can't understand a word those guys say over in west Jutland!:cross:

That's awesome. Denmark sure has a great love for beer. I'm glad you visited them, because I can't understand a word those guys say over in west Jutland!:cross:

Try German . . . . we were in Ribe the night Germany won the runner-up game in the world cup and I've never seen so many drunk Germans in one place :tank:

This is an interesting YouTube video on small breweries in Denmark (its not about Ribe Bryghus, but about similar very small breweries)

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a great trip!

I was in Sonderborg earlier this year, and spent several evenings at the Broggeriet brewery (It's in Danish :( ). I was very impressed with the 1864 Pilsner.

I really wish they had pictures of the brewery. It really was a work of art in itself! Right down to the etched glass of the MLT hatch!

They were even kind enough to sell me 4 of their beer glasses for $5.00 each!
(Not my picture, but the these are the glasses)

My wife was doing some work with someone at the university in Sonderborg - he is an expert in the changing borders and cultural back-and-forth nature of the area.

It's a pretty big culture shock - Being a dumb American - To walk out of the hotel and look across the street at a castle that's 800 years older than the country you're from...

It's very nice in Denmark (Albeit ridiculously expensive!) - And the beer is great too :ban:

I'm glad you guys enjoyed your trip!

Crazy… Been following these pages for quite a while now, and then somebody posts something from practically my backyard … almost. 20km.

Beautiful city for sure.

Hi Bonde! Where in Denmark are you?

20 km north/east of Ribe. In a smal town called Holsted. If you've been in a car visiting ribe, it's right alongside the most common used road towards Ribe when driving from the north.

I know Holsted! Our first time driving to Ribe, we came from Kolding on the expressway and turned south at Holsted. Then, my wife's research involved visiting farm sites, homesteads, and country churches and we were in Holsted again on one of those trips.

What a small world.

Back