Boring, BORING, BRO_O_O_RING!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Is there anything in homebrewing more boring that watching mead ferment?

Friday - bloop
Sat. - bloop, bloop
Sunday - bloop

Maybe I'll just put it in a keg and stuff it in a closet for 6 months.

OK, here's my #1 all-time favorite joke...

Two flies are sitting on a turd. One of them farts. The other says, "THAT'S DISGUSTING!! I'm trying to eat lunch!" ROMFFLMAO!!!!

...and #2...

Your Momma's SOOOOOO fat that when she gets on the dance floor the band skips!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

OK, I'm done....

Hey! My grass is growing too and it's wintertime and I think it's quite interesting!

Ohhhh turn off the lamps! NOW I get it! I R SmRt.

It may LOOK boring, but the payoff is worth it! Mead is worth the wait!

steve

im doing my first mead tonight, im waiting for it too cool down so i can pitch the yeast. i hope its as good as everyone keeps talking about.

OK, I'll bite. I've never done a mead before, but SWMBO loves the bottles of Bunratty Mead I bring back from Ireland.

Is this stuff hard to make other than being patient?

Dead simple:

Take your honey, heat with water to 150F & skim any foam, cool,
pitch, wait,wait,wait,wait,
rack,wait,wait,wait,wait,
bottle,wait,wait,wait,wait,wait,
drink

dry mead 12 pounds per 5 gallons
sweet 15

What I have is actually a melomel, AKA fruit mead. I fermented blackberry juice, then added the honey & a red wine yeast. So the yeast is not only adapting to the high osmotic pressure of 3 lbs/gal. of the honey, it is dealing with 6% ABV already. It doesn't help that the house is 63F. Should end up with a sweet blackberry dessert beverage.

Mead's an odd thing - You either love it or just brew it for friends!:D
the_bird said:
Do you have to use yeast nutrient?
Yes.
EdWort said:
Sound pretty simple to me. Do you ferment in a carboy or a bucket?
Either/Or.
EdWort said:
Any racking?
Yes, my last one cleared really quickly though - However as it's a dry mead (but only about 10% abv) I'm aging it for a lot longer than the 'watching the airlock' - I reckon 3 years.

David, what did you do to ferment the blackberry juice? I was thinking of a fruit mead, rather than a straight mead. Dod you add any extra sugar to it, or just yeast and nutrient? Pasteurize it first?

You really need to get a TV. If watching a carb-lock bubble is your idea of a good time, then you REALLY, REALLY need to get ESPN. Or aa pet, or lesbian internet pr0n.

The blackberry juice was just a straight pitch, no added sugar, since I was planning on making it into a melomel.

Got pets: two greyhounds, six finches and (I think) 9 gerbils. I also have over 5000 books. What's ESPN? Is that where horses jump over little brick deallies or where cars drive in circles?

EdWort said:
OK, I'll bite. I've never done a mead before, but SWMBO loves the bottles of Bunratty Mead I bring back from Ireland.

Is this stuff hard to make other than being patient?

Bunratty isn't mead- it's only white wine flavored with honey. I've had it before, tastes kind of hot.

david_42 said:
Dead simple:

Take your honey, heat with water to 150F & skim any foam, cool,
pitch, wait,wait,wait,wait,
bottle,wait,wait,wait,wait,wait,
drink

dry mead 12 pounds per 5 gallons
sweet 15

One thing I've learned about mead is that there are as many different ways to make it as there are varieties of it. You mention heating and pasturizing and that's something I don't do. I prefer to leave the honey alone as much as possible to leave the subtlties in it. I normally have some hot bottled water to put into the honey container and get out the last bit of it but that's the only heat I use.

Back