All Electric Mashing System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
anybody use this set up? Not sure what it's made of - teflon I think. Saw it on highgravitybrew.com They sell a whole home brewery set up. All electric mashing system. The mash tun is fairly unique in that the false bottom sits on a ledge and no chance of liquid channeling between the false bottom and sides of the tun. Rather pricey for basically plastic. 995.00 for this set up.

byobrewry_415_general.jpg

I use the mash tun. It does a good job but I have a few issues.

1) The 1/2" female connects do not go all the way through with the exception of the one in the lid. This means you can't hook pipes or whatnot on any of the inside holes.

2) The sparge nozzle they include is a rainbird lawn watering nozzle. In theory this works but unfortunately, if you recirculate instead of just using it for sparge, it can get clogged.

3) It loses heat a lot faster than they claim.

Other than that... it's very lightweight and easy to take apart/clean. I am happy with it.

I would just kind of start, you can get various parts and stuff, but I think a rudimentary understanding of electricity would get you started, you could get a pumps, keggles, I don't like plastic, cause it wears out, gets stained, or whatever, go keggle's, SS can be cleaned up using harsh chemicals if needed.

If I HAD to buy any prefab HERMS or RIMS system, i would get something made of SS like one of the b3 systems or the sabco, totally a different budget range i admit, but there you have it. All that being said I love electricity, cheaper to operate, no trips to the Propane store, and no pesky carbon monoxide. Go Team Electric!

Does it come with a temp controller?

I love electric... but prefer coolers. VERY heat efficient.

Temp controller on a HERMS, completely necessary IMHO

I looked at that system before building mine, I decided that I could build something better for the price. So I did.

I am sure they sell plenty of them though.

npOx, checked out the Brew Buddy. Is that your creation? Really some cool sh-t. I don't see myself going to the HERMS or RIMS level, but you gotta love technology available for the little guy. I would probably just like to start with something to monitor temps digitally in a central location, but the feedback loop and controller sounds tempting. Maybe when I have a few years of brewing under my belt.

My responsibility stops at the iphone app, the bcs-460 is made by Embedded Control Concepts: BCS-460 Temperature Controller. It has an open interface, so I created an iphone app to control it.

FWIW, before you go off and start buying temperature controllers like ranco's and stuff, remember to check it out. It's very multipurpose, you don't have to use a rims, you can use it for fermentation control, or hot liquor tank control...options abound...hell use it to control your big green egg during multi-hour smoking sessions!

Back