do you really need air stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
I have been aerating my wort using an aquarium pump without an air stone the last few batches. My airstone clogged after the first use and boiling, starsan, pbw dont help. I aereate the wort for 30 minutes before pitching the yeast and cant see a problem so far. I have oxygen in the shop for my torch and may use that in the future but am curios if the air stone is really critical.

As I understand it, the stone decreases the size of the gas bubbles and diffuses the gas into the liquid. Without it, the air/oxygen bubbles will be larger and the liquid may not get the oxygen diffusion levels you're looking for. It may work without the stone, but I think it will work better with one.

i just shake my carboy before pitching the yeast. :)

No stone or other fancy tools needed.

I know a lot of folks here subscribe to the air stone aeration, but I haven't seen any actual proof that it gains you anything. I haven't seen any major difference between aeration and not, so I just take what aeration I get from transfering wort and leave it at that. I'm very happy with the end results.

I have never used an air stone or injected oxygen. I just shake the carboy around a bit. Been brewing for 9 years.

An air stone isn't critical, you can just run the pump longer (about an hour). On there other hand, using oxygen without a stone is a major waste.

After aeration, I put my stone in hot water and let it run for another 5 minutes. Try boiling your stone to clear the pores, it worked for me.

Back