saving wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering if I were to plan a big brew day to make a 10 gl batch if I could make one batch then another and wait to pitch my yeast since I was going to make a big starter then split it. Will letting the first one sit without pitching for about 4 hours do any harm. I didnt know if getting the starter to pitch temp pouring half then back to the fridge would do harm? My lhbs says not to leave yeast out for more than an hour?

Just make sure your yeast is covered and it will be fine. Same with your wort just put the lid and airlock on while it is waiting to pitch. As long as nasties can't get into it you are good for a few hours at least. I had to leave wort for 9 hours because it was still to warm to pitch and I had to go to work. Turned out fine.

If you have good sanitation, you can leave the wort for days. Just keep it sealed so nothing can get in.

There is no problem with leaving the yeast out either, again, provided it is covered.

Your lhbs is wrong, as long as the yeast is covered you can leave it out for as long as you need to if your building a starter (if you aren't using it right away its best to store your yeast in the fridge). When building the starter for my Wee Heavy it was left out for 4 days (need to build up almost a gallon starter for it), and after 2 weeks they are still working away happily in my primary.

You just need to cover your wort if you are going to leave it for a few hours; longer you might want to think about putting it in the fridge also, since there is no yeast in it yet no CO2 is being built so you won't need an airlock to give the CO2 a sanitary escape path.

I suggested the airlock just to fill the hole in the lid. You probably already have the lid and airlock ready to use anyway. Sanitized foil over it will work fine also.

Back