beer bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaunasaurus

Reaction score
If we have any bakers out there i have made a bread made with beer. probably been done before but i tried this and it made a lovely loaf.

recipe is:
500g strong flour
10g salt
2 tablespoons of olive oil or melted butter
bottle of beer.

the important thing abou this is that i used my own brew that still had some live yeast in it. i mixed a little of the beer with some flour (a 50/50 ratio) and left over night. you should notice that the yeast has reactivated and started to digest the flour. add a touch more flour and more beer/water if it becomes to solid. leave over night once more. if your gooey mess is creating alot of bubbles then its ready. use a good heaped tablespoon of this instead of yeast.

so back to the recipe.

mix the flour and salt, then add the beer/yeasty/floury gooey mix. then add beer instead of the usual water. mix until a soft dough is formed. knead the bread well for about 15 mins or untill silky.
leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour. knock back the dough (lightly knead it for a bit) then shape into desired form. i used a loaf tin but any bread shape will do, buns, plait etc. put back into prove for another hour. while it is proving preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (i dont know farenheight sorry) when you take the loaf out of proving add a deep tray with about 2-3 cups of water to the bottom of the oven. then add your bread on a rack above it. the water should help stop the crust from going rock solid by creating steam in the oven.
remove bread after about 30 mins or untill golden and the bread sounds hollow when tapped from the bottom. if not bake for a bit longer.

i really enjoyed my loaf with had a slight malty taste with a beery aroma. makes a mean beef sandwhich. the beer i used was a simple golden ale. not too hoppy, not too malty. but i certainly will be experimenting with any new brews i make. making a stout next which could make some interesting bread.

hope you enjoy! :mug:

I've made beer bread a number of times, it's truly great. The best part is experimenting with different styles of beer and seeing how they impact the flavor of the bread. So far my favorites to use are Bocks.

we were just talking about beer bread last night at brew club, but I didn't get any details

one of the guys advised against using SA Triple Bock; you really shouldn't use anything you wouldn't drink

Any idea how long the yeast will stay alive? I recently found a couple bottles of a year old beer that tasted awful. Was thinking of trying to bake with it.

Don't know if it's so bad it'll ruin anything I bake but I figure it is worth a shot.

Can you better define 'strong flour' please?

the higher the gluten/protein in the bread, the "stronger" it is

higher protein or strong flour is recommended for bread

Any idea how long the yeast will stay alive? I recently found a couple bottles of a year old beer that tasted awful. Was thinking of trying to bake with it.

Don't know if it's so bad it'll ruin anything I bake but I figure it is worth a shot.

like I said, brew club buddy said don't use anything you wouldn't drink

we were just talking about beer bread last night at brew club, but I didn't get any details

one of the guys advised against using SA Triple Bock; you really shouldn't use anything you wouldn't drink

Back