Using sodastream for CO2 layer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Hey folks!

Well I now have 4.5 gallons of red and 2 gallons of white, aging. I didn't have a completely full carboy, not did I want to dilute them.
I ended up attaching a siphon hose to my sodastream system and using that to put a layer of CO2 over top the wines since the carboys were not full.

Any thoughts on that being a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Does the gas matter? I use have a Nitrogen tank. Figure its gotta be better than O2.

I have heard nitrogen is better actually due to a larger sized molecule, if I recall.

Any thoughts on how often I should shoot another CO2 blanket into the carboy?

I have heard nitrogen is better actually due to a larger sized molecule, if I recall.

Any thoughts on how often I should shoot another CO2 blanket into the carboy?

I had read weekly is quite common. But the bigger question is 'how long are you planning to protect with CO2?'
I have been advised by multiple people that inert gas is not recommended for bulk aging as it should only be used for a short term solution, but never for aging.

That throws a wrench in my plan then. I have 4.5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy.

Suggestions? I have way too much headspace in the carboy on the left as well as the two gallon bottles.

image-724755377.jpg

That throws a wrench in my plan then. I have 4.5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy.

Suggestions? I have way too much headspace in the carboy on the left as well as the two gallon bottles.

View attachment 105475

Depends how long you plan on bulk aging it. I'd either bottle it a little young, top it up with something similar or move it to a 4 gallon.

Couldn't you also sanitize some glass marbles or stainless steel ball bearings and add them to your carboy? Add enough to bring the fluid level up.

I've used ziplock bags filled with water to displace, but that was in a bucket fitted with an airlock. Also did some water balloons filled with water into a carboy, roid to do but do able. Insert partially filled balloon into neck of jug, fill until you figure its full, tie end and drop.

Back