Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my uncle in-law while drinking a 9% barleywine I made "this is pretty close to Sam Adams" I just said thank you ,as he meant it as a near compliment.

My brother in law just told me that same thing while drinking one of my 8.5% saison de Noel's. I also, just said thank you...I'm lucky I didn't have a few more in me, or my innner beer snob might have came out. Haha, whatever

My brother in law just told me that same thing while drinking one of my 8.5% saison de Noel's. I also, just said thank you...I'm lucky I didn't have a few more in me, or my innner beer snob might have came out. Haha, whatever

I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this. I think they are trying to pay a compliment but lack the vocabulary to give it.

"I don't want the porter (FG 1014). I don't feel like anything heavy. How about the Scotch Ale (FG 1028)?

Also, after giving my wife's uncle, cousin, and father a taste of my 14 month old, 22% barley brandy, the response was a hesitant "hmm, that's not bad." Knowing their tastes, though, I only gave them about a thimble full.

Im a newbie What is an SWMBO

*curls protectively around his carboy full of DIPA* Nasty creatures, yes they is, preciouss... *coughkrausencough* They tries to tricks us...they tries to takes the preciouss! *coughkrausencough* We shows them, yes... What's it doing?! Stupid, fat SWMBO! You ruins it! What's "rinsing", precious? What's "rinsing," eh? Oh yes, we could say no to that! Spoiling nice beer! Give it to us star-sanned and dripping! You keep nasty rinsing!

Stupid, fat SWMBO!

I am obligated to mention do not ever, ever, ever say this to a SWMBO, as you risk serious bodily harm. To you. :D

Plus, they have unexpected benefits. Hot flashes -> House is only about 61 F -> My American ales are rocking along at a perfect 62 F with absolutely no maintenance on my part. :rockin:

wannabebeernerd said:
i would of had to say, "yes, yes it is, exactly like that one", and laughed out loud at least once a day for the next week when i tried to picture their faces after opening it.

+1!

Overheard at Johns Grocery...from a beer "know it all"..."I only drink beer out of a graveler", meaning "grumbler"...opps I mean growler.

I stopped at a gas station tonight on my way back to my hotel to get some beer. I've been told this place has the best beer selection in town, and I will say, their selection is very wide. They still have spring seasonals...mmmm, yummy.
Anyway, I got a sixer of New Belgium Snowday, and when I went to the counter the girl asked me if this was a dark beer. I said, "well, yeah...it's dark, but it's tastes lighter than it looks and it's hoppy". She said, "oh like ummm...have you ever had amber bock? Or is it dark like an IPA?". I didn't know what to say and there were now people behind me waiting, so I politely said, "you should just try it and see what you think, I like it."

WOW!

I stopped at a gas station tonight on my way back to my hotel to get some beer. I've been told this place has the best beer selection in town, and I will say, their selection is very wide. They still have spring seasonals...mmmm, yummy.
Anyway, I got a sixer of New Belgium Snowday, and when I went to the counter the girl asked me if this was a dark beer. I said, "well, yeah...it's dark, but it's tastes lighter than it looks and it's hoppy". She said, "oh like ummm...have you ever had amber bock? Or is it dark like an IPA?". I didn't know what to say and there were now people behind me waiting, so I politely said, "you should just try it and see what you think, I like it."

WOW!

I'm pretty sure she was hitting on you . . .

;)

My wife overheard a woman at her work the other day telling someone that Saki is one of the strongest forms of alcohol.

Another one...

My father enjoys good beer thanks to my influence but God love him he is retarded when it comes to beer knowledge no matter how much I try and educate him. One time we were at a restaurant and the waiter asked him what he wanted to drink and he says "I want either an ale or a lager." The waiter just stared at him not knowing if he was screwing with her. He wasn't so I just told her to bring him a Newcastle.

I'm sure someone posted this but when I was at a BBQ one of the old school beer guys (the I like change with my 10 for a case of beer kind) asked me if I had brought and "drought" beer, and I looked at him really confused. He said you know like Guinness. I responded with oh you mean a Stout, yeah I happen to have some Guinness since I heard you liked it. You know the normal boring social conversations.

But he was intent on proving me a "beer snob" wrong. he gets the bottle and gets a big sheisse essen grin on his face and turns the bottle around and proclaims he was right, and points out that on the label below Guinness is the word "draught" I have a little chuckle and explain that's the method they use to get a very specific pour with the Guinness to simulate how it would naturally pour from a cask. And went to Beer Advocate to show him it was Dry Irish stout.

My wife overheard a woman at her work the other day telling someone that Saki is one of the strongest forms of alcohol.
Isn't sake one of the strongest non-distilled alcohols, on average?
Beer =6%
Wine =14%
Saki = 20%​
That's my understading of the averages of each. VERY generally speaking

Isn't sake one of the strongest non-distilled alcohols, on average?
Beer =6%
Wine =14%
Saki = 20%That's my understading of the averages of each. VERY generally speaking

Sake is generally diluted to 15% according to Wikipedia but yeah. Still this lady was making it out to be like Everclear or something like that.

I've heard too many dumb things about beer to keep track of, but one thing that made me chuckle (and cringe) recently was on the cover of a book about beer. My wife bought me a book for Christmas titled "BEERS OF THE WORLD - Over 350 Classic Beers, Lagers, Ales, and Porters[/B"]

*shudder*

My immediate thought: if someone doesn't properly understand those relationships, why would they write a book about it?

Not sure if it specifically counts as funny about beer or as just funny and said by people drinking too much beer...

Was watching some cable show a couple of nights ago and I heard one of the most ominous phrases in the English language....

A drunken redneck saying, "Hey, hold my beer a minute, I'm gonna try sumthin"

...after I stopped having flash backs to too many family reunions I couldn't help but laugh

for the record I believe the 2nd most ominous to be, "Hey y'all, watch this!"

WesleyGatzke said:
I've heard too many dumb things about beer to keep track of, but one thing that made me chuckle (and cringe) recently was on the cover of a book about beer. My wife bought me a book for Christmas titled "BEERS OF THE WORLD - Over 350 Classic Beers, Lagers, Ales, and Porters[/B"]

*shudder*

My immediate thought: if someone doesn't properly understand those relationships, why would they write a book about it?

image-1105808947.jpg

You mean this?

My wife bought me the same book as part of a whole beer themed anniversary gift last year.

So this just happened to me. I went to a local bar that just opened up because I heard they have a pretty decent beer selection.

Me: I'll take an Ithaca Flower Power (local IPA)
Bartender: Sure thing

As I wait for my change, a guy walks up next to me and takes a look at the taps. A second bartender shows up and asks him what he wants.

Bartender: What'll ya have?
Guy: Ithaca IPA please
Bartender: We don't have Ithaca IPA
Me (to the Guy): You want the flower power
Guy: No, I don't want that
Me: You said you wanted the Ithaca IPA, that's the Flower Power
Guy: No, I said I want the Ithaca Double IPA

(I'm pretty sure they don't even make a double IPA)

Me: You want the flower power, trust me.

The guy orders an Angry Orchard (hard cider)

I laughed to myself. I guess he thought a good alternative to a double IPA (that does not exist) is a hard cider.

gcdowd said:
So this just happened to me. I went to a local bar that just opened up because I heard they have a pretty decent beer selection.

Me: I'll take an Ithaca Flower Power (local IPA)
Bartender: Sure thing

As I wait for my change, a guy walks up next to me and takes a look at the taps. A second bartender shows up and asks him what he wants.

Bartender: What'll ya have?
Guy: Ithaca IPA please
Bartender: We don't have Ithaca IPA
Me (to the Guy): You want the flower power
Guy: No, I don't want that
Me: You said you wanted the Ithaca IPA, that's the Flower Power
Guy: No, I said I want the Ithaca Double IPA

(I'm pretty sure they don't even make a double IPA)

Me: You want the flower power, trust me.

The guy orders an Angry Orchard (hard cider)

I laughed to myself. I guess he thought a good alternative to a double IPA (that does not exist) is a hard cider.

Hahahahaha. That is tough to beat right there!!!!!

So my SWMBO was raised a Mormon, but she's non-practicing at best. She drinks, no worries there, but still can't come to grips with food and alcohol. She won't cook with alcohol, won't drink while she's eating.

Anyway, this morning she tells me that she doesn't like that I use our 4.5 gallon pot to brew in. Apparently she's worried my unfermented sugar water will some how contaminate her next stew with alcohol.....

I was at my LHBS the other day. A guy came in who had received a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, and was looking for more supplies. The owner of the shop was very patient with him, answered all of his questions, and somehow avoided bashing the fact he was using a Mr. Beer (everyone starts somewhere). After they both have an armload of cleaner, sanitizer, extract, yeast packs, etc., he grabs the bottle of Star-San and asks, "I use well water, do I need to add more of this to my wort than normal to make sure I kill everything." The look on the owner's face was priceless.

ArkieBrewer said:
I was at my LHBS the other day. A guy came in who had received a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, and was looking for more supplies. The owner of the shop was very patient with him, answered all of his questions, and somehow avoided bashing the fact he was using a Mr. Beer (everyone starts somewhere). After they both have an armload of cleaner, sanitizer, extract, yeast packs, etc., he grabs the bottle of Star-San and asks, "I use well water, do I need to add more of this to my wort than normal to make sure I kill everything." The look on the owner's face was priceless.

This should be interesting ;)
"Yeah, let's say half the bottle undiluted ;)

Also, make sure you add it after the yeast pitch!"
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Newbie brewers thinking they can make BCM style beers cheaper than you can buy it for..

Also I have seen alot of Bluemoon Bashing, seems alot of people on here forget Bluemoon started out as a micro/craft brewery till Coors bought them out. I dont care for it but its still a drinkable beer.

Not beer but since the TV show moonshiners has came out there seems to be a lot of "shine" makers coming out of the wood work (at least where I work) and you can tell after 2 mins of conversation they have no clue what they are talking about while acting like they have been squeezing corn all there life.

My pet peeve is when someone acts like they drink "good" beer and look down on me when I drink Natural Light. This is not the homebrew crowd, its the every day folks that have no clue about beer and act like Natural Light is cold goat piss while they are drinking a Bud Light.. I usually just laugh at them, cause they really have no clue what good beer is.

LTownLiquorPig said:
So my SWMBO was raised a Mormon, but she's non-practicing at best. She drinks, no worries there, but still can't come to grips with food and alcohol. She won't cook with alcohol, won't drink while she's eating.

Anyway, this morning she tells me that she doesn't like that I use our 4.5 gallon pot to brew in. Apparently she's worried my unfermented sugar water will some how contaminate her next stew with alcohol.....

I'd be more worried about her using my brew pot for her stew!!

blefferd said:
Newbie brewers thinking they can make BCM style beers cheaper than you can buy it for..

Also I have seen alot of Bluemoon Bashing, seems alot of people on here forget Bluemoon started out as a micro/craft brewery till Coors bought them out. I dont care for it but its still a drinkable beer.

Not beer but since the TV show moonshiners has came out there seems to be a lot of "shine" makers coming out of the wood work (at least where I work) and you can tell after 2 mins of conversation they have no clue what they are talking about while acting like they have been squeezing corn all there life.

My pet peeve is when someone acts like they drink "good" beer and look down on me when I drink Natural Light. This is not the homebrew crowd, its the every day folks that have no clue about beer and act like Natural Light is cold goat piss while they are drinking a Bud Light.. I usually just laugh at them, cause they really have no clue what good beer is.

I have that same problem cause I drink Milwaukee's best sometimes.

Sounds like you've got a green light to buy a new brew kettle. Score!

[...]

Next time you get into a tiny-dick swinging contest over the comparative merits of "light beers", try to remember this might be your last day in this particular Reality, and you probably shouldn't waste a lot of it...

Cheers! ;)

blefferd said:
I dont have enough money to buy the good stuff all the time, I drink ALOT of beer.

Same here and I don't wanna pay a few bucks more for Miller or something especially when I like Best better.

Back