SERIOUSLY! Is this safe to use...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plinythebadass

Reaction score
I already posted a thread on here about using these cultures I made. I just want to make sure that everyone's general con census is that he entire.bottom layer is a nice yeast cake and not a sedimentary trub.

yeast.jpg

If its tight and compact its yeast mostly. If its soft and squishy its trub mostly. How long has it been in that jar? If over a week I'd do a starter before you pitch.

If you shake it up, or wash it it should redistribute like this...

yeast_wash2.gif

Yeast usually sits on the trub layer. But when we're just scooping it out of the fermenter, it often gests out of order

Decant, give it a good swirl and use everything you have.

It's hard to see the numbers in the picture, but if that is about 75ml then you likely have 50-75 billion viable yeast cells. If you take just the thin dense layer that is only about 3 billion yeast cells.

95% of the viable yeast are tied up in the "trub" layer.

Here is a 2nd look at water washing yeast I did more recently:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/yeast-washing-revisited.html

Good lord gentlemen-i was watching a Two Chains song and it was an advert for her stupid ass song. Don't hate! This is all good info people thanks!!

Any yeast exposed to Tity Boy needs to immediately washed in Wu-Tang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back