1st time Milk stoutting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbike

Reaction score
Hello all,
First time brewing milk stout, 5th time brewing. First thing I noticed that I needed a 6.5 gallon fermenter. I have the good ole 5 gallon kit from Brewers best. Can I get away with the 5 gallon? I noticed that i can probably bring the wort up to 6 gallons with the room left in the bucket. It will bring the wort closer to the top of the bucket. Is that a big deal??
:mug:
Cheers!

I don't understand what you are asking. The bucket with that kit is a 6.5 gallon bucket, typical size for a 5 gallon batch. Are you asking if you can use it for a 6 gallon batch? It's a PITA to move a bucket that's too full, you may just want to go down on your recipe to make 5 or 5.5 gallons. Are you sure that's what the recipe calls for, though, and it's not something like a 6 gallon boil with 5 into the fermenter?

I don't understand what you are asking. The bucket with that kit is a 6.5 gallon bucket, typical size for a 5 gallon batch. Are you asking if you can use it for a 6 gallon batch? It's a PITA to move a bucket that's too full, you may just want to go down on your recipe to make 5 or 5.5 gallons. Are you sure that's what the recipe calls for, though, and it's not something like a 6 gallon boil with 5 into the fermenter?

ah, didn't know that. Thought it was just a 5 gallon bucket. it just says 6.5 gallon fermenter needed.

ah, didn't know that. Thought it was just a 5 gallon bucket. it just says 6.5 gallon fermenter needed.

Some Fermcap-S will help keep the lid on that bucket too. :D

You'll still get 2 or maybe even 3 inches of krausen, but no explosions.

Rick

I brewed my first Milk stout yesterday... damn thing was bubbling within a few hours! Hoping when I get home today it's not all over the place!

I brewed my first Milk stout yesterday... damn thing was bubbling within a few hours! Hoping when I get home today it's not all over the place!

Yeah, less than 24 hours in the bucket mine is bubbling like crazy. Going to keep my eye on it. Might get a blow off tube if need be.

So the wonderful stout will have sat in its bucket for one month in a couple days. My friend and I are having trouble coordinating schedules to bottle. Will it be okay to let it it go for one more week or should I get it bottled soon?
Yum

Wont hurt one bit. I wouldn't let it go past 6 weeks, but you could probably go even longer with no ill effects. Personally, I like to let mine hang out a couple weeks after fermentation is complete

Wont hurt one bit. I wouldn't let it go past 6 weeks, but you could probably go even longer with no ill effects. Personally, I like to let mine hang out a couple weeks after fermentation is complete

Thanks Bamsdealer! good to know.

Back