Volume Measurement Dipstick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnatp2

Reaction score
Anyone have a good way of securing a 1/4" stainless dip tube for volume measurement in a kettle? (via Brewtroller and MPX5010DP). I've seen some in a keggle that look decent but not in a kettle with straight sides. I'd like to have mine more secure to prevent any potential moving around during the brew process.

The top would be easy to secure with something like a 1/4" compression fitting near the top of the side wall, but I don't know how to anchor the bottom.

Nate

I use a hardwood wooden rod that I attach down the inside wall of the kettle on brew day with a small C-clamp at the top, perfectly stable. It only needs to be in the pot when pouring in mash and sparge water to check volumes and then I just leave it out until I'm nearing my boil time to check final post-boil volume. Not sure why you would want/need one permanently attached.

I use a hardwood wooden rod that I attach down the inside wall of the kettle on brew day with a small C-clamp at the top, perfectly stable. It only needs to be in the pot when pouring in mash and sparge water to check volumes and then I just leave it out until I'm nearing my boil time to check final post-boil volume. Not sure why you would want/need one permanently attached.

I would prefer permanently mounted because otherwise it is just one more thing to setup during brewday. Also, I would like to be able to put on a lid and this would stick out of the top.

I use my Mash Paddle. I know the apx volume by the holes and handle. I used to use a hardwood stick as well but now use the paddle and thermowells for my apx volume. I always add a little water by sight as I try to be on the dry side when I fist add the grain. Same with batch sparge. I know what I want it to look like and to me that is part of the process. I do make the same beers over and over and generally get very close OG each time for my brew.

I had purchased a scale that is under the MLT but I found that the paddle and sight process much easier and better. I do not use the scale anymore.

I would prefer permanently mounted because otherwise it is just one more thing to setup during brewday. Also, I would like to be able to put on a lid and this would stick out of the top.

That makes sense, just seems like a cleaning nightmare to have permanent fixtures in a brew kettle.

Will you be sending something down into the tube? IF not, I would seriously look into making/getting a sight tube that goes on the outside of the kettle. You can get (or make, as I did) one that connects back into the kettle at both the low and high points.

If you do want to send something down into the tube, then you could still make it external to the kettle. Just means you'll use stainless tubing instead of [borosilicate] glass (or polycarbonate). My only concern with having an open top is the potential to have either boiling wort shoot out (if you don't shield it low) or something fall in (more important during the chill phase).

Will you be sending something down into the tube? IF not, I would seriously look into making/getting a sight tube that goes on the outside of the kettle. You can get (or make, as I did) one that connects back into the kettle at both the low and high points.

If you do want to send something down into the tube, then you could still make it external to the kettle. Just means you'll use stainless tubing instead of [borosilicate] glass (or polycarbonate). My only concern with having an open top is the potential to have either boiling wort shoot out (if you don't shield it low) or something fall in (more important during the chill phase).

The only thing I plan on putting down the tube is air from an airpump.

Got any pics of it? That's kinda what I was thinking, but i don't know how to get the tube low enough in the tank for it get good low volume readings.

The only thing I plan on putting down the tube is air from an airpump.

Got any pics of it? That's kinda what I was thinking, but i don't know how to get the tube low enough in the tank for it get good low volume readings.

These are pictures of ones I've made so far...

No weld:
2012-02-23_18-55-24_121-53299.jpg

Welded
keggle_sight_tube_assemly_welded-57028.jpg

If you're using air, then you could do the no weld version and just add a fitting inside to go to the air source. Depending on the kettle you're using, you could get pretty low. Just be sure to have a shield under the lower fitting to prevent it from boiling inside (I've had that happen, doesn't when I have a metal shield under it).

If you want to brainstorm more, PM me and we'll communicate outside the boards.

Back