Gravity higher than expected on cream stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a couple brews (my first and second!) and while the first, an Irish Red which I may be describing to my friends as "Accidentally Brown Ale" is quite good and the gravity readings make sense, the second - a cream stout containing about half a pound of lactose - reads at 1030 after three weeks' fermentation.

This seems pretty high, especially since Hopville's recipe calculator suggests a 1017 FG. Is it simply not finished brewing yet? It tastes pretty decent, aside from a slight unripe persimmon-ey aftertaste that I suspect is a result of the brew's youth.

Some other forums suggest re-pitching my yeast, or stirring the brew to "rouse" the yeast that's already in there. I pitched the batch initially with a 20-ounce bottle of Wyeast 1084 I collected from the bottom of my previous brew one day earlier, and the initial fermentation was vigorous.

Please advise.

Yeah, but no. The difference between stouts and porters is a matter of controversy, and when I put the recipe for the stout which I'd found elsewhere into the calculator, it said it fit the profile of a robust porter and not a stout.

It's the recipe I brewed, semantics aside.

The same thing happened to me earlier this year with a RIS. It got down to 1.030 and quit, no matter what I did. The result was an excellent brew that tastes like Ancre Porter, and that everyone raves about.:tank:

The same thing happened to me earlier this year with a RIS. It got down to 1.030 and quit, no matter what I did. The result was an excellent brew that tastes like Ancre Porter, and that everyone raves about.:tank:

OT: Shorten your signature, dude - it takes up too much vertical space. Try to keep it within the limits of user information on the left hand side of the screen.

Well, that's encouraging. Like I said, my brew tastes nice but green. Did you try repitching/stirring/voodoo? Any bottle bombs?

It's around 1 point per 3oz. I think, so with 8oz. = roughly 3 points of gravity.

Yeah, nowhere near the extra I'm seeing even considering that this is a 4-gallon batch, not a 5. I'm gonna let it sit a week before checking gravity again and if it's done for serious I'm gonna dry-hop, leave it another week, and bottle. We'll see how it goes.

Back