Is a stained bottling bucket bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganu

Reaction score
Yesterday I started prepping everything inorder to rack my batch. While cleaning everything I notice that my bottling bucket has a small circular pink stain in the bottom of it. There is also a matching stain on the inside of one of my short racking hoses. Apparently, while in storage these two pieces laid together and this is where moisture and mold collected (MY guess, anyways).

I let everything soak in bleach for probably 30 minutes, scrubbing here and there as best I could with a soft cloth. I even scrubbed the inside of my short racking hose.

Everything "looks" clean... but still tinted pink.

Is it safe to rack with this stuff today or do I need work around it and just buy a new bottling bucket?

Thanks in advance.

G

Well, I've used buckets and hoses in the same or worse condition. Never had a problem. If you soaked it in bleach, you've killed any bacteria in there. As far as the hose goes, I change mine out fairly frequently. I would go with it. However, definitely don't store anything wet together. Also, I've always been an advocate of cheapest is best. Until I got some Starsan... Luck - Dwain

I've never seen pink mold. Not saying it isn't possible, just never seen it. I'd be more inclined to believe the bleach left an off color in the plastic.

I've never seen pink mold. Not saying it isn't possible, just never seen it. I'd be more inclined to believe the bleach left an off color in the plastic.

Yeah, I'm sure it's not mold. Just meant that everything should be clean and don't store wet things (?) together.

I have a few stains in one of mine and I've had no issues with it. Just wash out thoroughly and I usually use a pretty weak bleach solution to sanitize.

I personally don't think a strong bleach solution would take out the color but it cant hurt, just remember to not scratch the plastic...

I felt comfortable enough to go ahead and rack through the bucket anyways. Like I said, I put a good bit of elbow grease on the stain, AND it DID sit in bleach for 30 min+.

Thanks for the responses... again.

Pink stains in the household are usually Serratia marcescens, an airborne bacteria that is sometimes associated with urinary tract infections in humans. Bleach should completely take care of the bacteria but their biofilm is whats staining your equipment. Bleach most likely will not get rid of the biofilm but it is essentially harmless.

Try soaking and scrubbing LIGHTLY with a few wet paper towels. Dont scrub with anything abrasive or it will scratch the plastic leaving grooves for infection to hide in. I think your going to be fine.
-Jefe-

Back