Mixed up hops ID method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepmarine71

Reaction score
I planted two rizomes last year, a Cascade and a Fuggle. I cant remember which is which. They are both growing like gangbusters, but one is growing faster than the other. I'm inclined to think that one maybe the Cascade. Cascade is know to grow well in my area NW Ohio.

How could I tell them apart? Wait for harvest and make a hop tea? I love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale so would notice the cascade tea.

Do the cones look different?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shad

These cones are pretty diffent in shape. If the shape doesn't help you the aroma definately will. RDWHAHB

Yeah i thought the fuggle cone was long and skinny-ish and the cascade was round. Im pretty sure i can tell by thier smell. Im not to worried. I am going to mark them in the future.

What variety should i grow next NW Ohio.

Cheers

From what I understand about the two varieties, the cascade should give you a much higher yield than the fuggle.

if you get 2 nice and identical picture of the different leaves i might be able to help Id. I have both fuggle and cascade plants, they do look a little bit different in leaf development. So i might be able to help.... maybe...:tank:

Fuggle
fuggle_200x.jpg

Cascade
cascade_200x.jpg

I too lost track of what I planted....I left my mother in law in charge of planting and told her to remember what went where. 2 Cascade and 2 Willamete....Of course she got them mixed up. Hopefully I will be able to tell the difference when they produce cones....

Back