Imperial Chocolate IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smonteton

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wy east american ale 2
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
24srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 68˚
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 68˚
Tasting Notes
Tried the wort before pitching the yeast , it was pretty bitter but still pallet able
My fourth beer i brewed kinda just playing with ideas . Ive enjoyed a couple black and dark ipas recently and thought i would give this a try.
I mashed at 150˚ for 90 min , aprox. 5 gallons
Sparge water temp was 170˚ for 60 min , aprox. 5.5 gallons
Boiled 8 gallons wort for 90 mins ,hop additions at
90 min 1 oz centennial
75 min 1 oz centennial
60 min 1 oz centennial
45 min 1 oz centennial
30 min 1 oz centennial
15 min 1 oz centennial
5 min 1.5 lb honey and 1 cup dry malt extract
Cooled in an ice bath over 1 hour.
5.5 gallons of wort
Took gravity reading of 1.085
Pitched yeast at 70 degrees. My yeast was american ale II that i had washed from a previous IPA.
I used a starter 2 cups water 1/2 cup DME 24 hours
Shook for a min pretty hard
I will Dry hop 3 oz centennial in secondary.

I made this beer today , and about 2 hours later i noticed the air lock bubbling away.

That sounds like an awful lot of bittering and not a lot of flavor/aroma hops. Nothing after 15 min?

Somebody else told me that also about putting hops more too the end.

i will be dry hoping 3 oz centennial in secondary in a week i believe that should give it a good aroma? no?

3 ounces of centennial in the secondary will give you pretty good aroma for sure. That said if it's a 1.085 beer don't rush it. Give it time to ferment then you can rack to secondary if you want or you could always dryhop in the primary. Up to you.

How many days would you say to let it ferment in primary? Do you just look at the bubbles in the airlock?

How many days would you say to let it ferment in primary? Do you just look at the bubbles in the airlock?

Right now I would go online or to the store and buy a hydrometer if you don't have one and go by that. If you don't have one and are for some reason against getting one I'd give it three weeks to be safe, then dryhop for a week and bottle.

Bubbles in the airlock can provide a pretty inaccurate picture and if you halt fermentation early, especially in a IIPA, you're going to have a subpar beer.

I'd likely give it 4 weeks easily, but I've begun doing that with most of my beers since I've had a couple of them change a little after a week. I'll give them 4 weeks fermentation and 4 weeks conditioning, as well as one week in the fridge.

What grains did you use?

How did it turn out?

Back