Grolsch bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie69

Reaction score
Does anyone reuse Grolsch bottles? I wanted to use them but when I filled them with water I turned them upside down and shook them,when I did that I could feel the water coming out in little sprinkles. Any suggestions?

I use grolsch bottles, but i am not sure i understand your question. Are you saying that they when you seal them up (with a rubber gasket on the cap) that it is allowing liquid to exit the bottle? I have never seen that.

I used some in my first attempt at brewing with Mr. Beer years ago. They worked fine but I don't recall any leaking.

The rubber gaskets become dry and cracked over time. You should be able to get replacements at your LHBS. Use them! They are very convenient if you can get your hands on enough.

OK so the bottles sound good...but has any one ages any thing in these bottles and for how long?

I use grolsch bottles, but i am not sure i understand your question. Are you saying that they when you seal them up (with a rubber gasket on the cap) that it is allowing liquid to exit the bottle? I have never seen that.

These are brand new,I opened them and drank the beer. I filled them with water,if I turn them upside down and shake them,water comes out,not a lot but I can feel them sprinkling water

OK so the bottles sound good...but has any one ages any thing in these bottles and for how long?

I wouldn't age anything more than about six months in these. And that's more for the rubber gaskets then anything. The gaskets might start retaining the aromas from the beverage inside.

These are brand new,I opened them and drank the beer. I filled them with water,if I turn them upside down and shake them,water comes out,not a lot but I can feel them sprinkling water

Could be two things.

1- Pressure. With no carbonation pushing on the cap, it could be loose and sliding around.

2- water outside the bottle was what was dripping.

Then they would be good for cinders those topically only last 1 month around here

I found one that had a Hef in it in my garage fridge that had been there for about 6 years. I was sure it would be bad but after popping it open and drinking it, it was great. One of the best I've had actually. No problem with these bottles and their seals.

My home brew shop says yes, I'm waiting for cider to carbonate, then pasturize

Home brew guy says 6+ months no problem, they just have to be good well made ones. Mine are brew specific, not just the cheap ones.

Then you should be good I would think. Mine will be pasteurized in the next couple days, I will let you know how it goes..

May want to check the price with Specialty Glass, or similar, online. I saved money buying online instead of from LHBS, but I know all handle markup differently.

This is true but with shipping it ends up to be the same for me ...I can buy a case for 25$ and while I'm up there I I go buy whole foods and get my cider

I always hit up my local bottle return center. I am up to almost 5 full cases of 16oz German flip top style bottles. Dark brown glass with straight sides so I can label them. 10 cents a piece sure beats $2.50 at my LHBS.

I stop by my local liquor store and grab a Grolsch or two every week....I get to drink the beer, and have an awesome bottle to re-use.

Nevermind the fact that I've been grabbing a Grolsch or two a week for years, and am just getting back into brewing after many years since the last batch.:drunk:

I just stopped by my local bottle depot. Paid $30 a dozen for brown grolsh bottles from my HBS. Bought 30 emerald green ones, a dozen cobalt blue wine bottles and a gallon jug at bottle depo for $13.

I just stopped by my local bottle depot. Paid $30 a dozen for brown grolsh bottles from my HBS. Bought 30 emerald green ones, a dozen cobalt blue wine bottles and a gallon jug at bottle depo for $13.

Do you have a link?

Just a local bottle depo. No website. Just find one locally and ask if they sell.

Broke one, which was overfilled to start with. Otherwise seem good so far....

I'm with Revvy on that one. 10 years might be a bit much to ask of those gaskets. Brand new, never used gaskets I might trust for 3-5, but that is even pushing it.

I have been brewing for only a short time, but use these bottles exclusively. Never had an issue, and I have gotten several old bottles from friends, washed them good, sanitised them and added new gaskets (something like .08 each at my brew store.) Haven't had anthing that lasted to age, but I'll let you know!

I think the OP was feeling the water coming off the bottle wire.

I wouldn't age anything more than about six months in these. And that's more for the rubber gaskets then anything. The gaskets might start retaining the aromas from the beverage inside.

Almost every single homebrewer that starts brewing, uses Grolsch bottles in The Netherlands.
They are cheap (10 cents per bottle) and easy to get (local supermarket).
I never had any problems with worn out gaskets, even with bottles for over a year filled with homebrew.

Almost every single homebrewer that starts brewing, uses Grolsch bottles in The Netherlands.
They are cheap (10 cents per bottle) and easy to get (local supermarket).
I never had any problems with worn out gaskets, even with bottles for over a year filled with homebrew.

Excelent! That's good to hear!

does anyone know if the grolsch bottles that say "holland grolsch florida" on the caps are worth anything? i got an offer of $15 for 21 green and 6 brown... should i take this offer or are they worth more than this?

Back